Help Out UC Newbies and Share Your UC Tips!

05-05-2017 05:39 PM
ChrisCatania
Esri Community Team

It's almost that time of year. As we get ready for the User Conference, we want to help first-time attendees prepare, so we're looking for those who have been to UC before to offer tips, advice and share other helpful knowledge to help first-timers make the most out of their experience.

So, let us know... what should first-time attendees do to prepare and have a successful UC? What should they do during and after the event to maximize learning and networking? What strategies work for you? What do you wish you did differently at your first or last UC? 

Your tips will be shared here on GeoNet in the User Conference group, as well as in other pre-UC communications going out over the next couple months. Post your tips below and thanks for sharing and spreading the word! 

See what others have previously shared each year below.

Esri Community Strategist
88 Replies
SherylJackson2
New Contributor

I have searched the agenda multiple times.  When is the Welcome and Orientation? 

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Sheryl, typically the Welcome and Orientation is on Sunday afternoon before the UC actually kicks off.  I have gone to many UCs so not new to reviewing the agenda, but the new format of the browser based UC agenda doesn't even have the Sunday schedule listed. I even looked on the Education concurrent/overlapping, since they are on Sunday, but that session is not listed and Welcome Social are not listed anywhere I can find.

My guess is is it an oversight or error on the agenda site, but there is a possibility that they will not have it.  Maybe CCatania-esristaff  can make sure this question is reviewed/answered by one of the UC staff?

0 Kudos
SherylJackson2
New Contributor

Thanks for the information.  I'm flying in Monday afternoon so anything Sunday wouldn't help.

0 Kudos
ErinOberholser
New Contributor

Hi Sheryl -

Definetly understand if its not possible since it sounds like you probably already booked your travel arrangements, but my number one recommendation for sure, would be to check out the Pleanry session.  Even if you only make the second half.  It is a lot of sitting, but it totally sets the mood for the whole week and is so inspiring.  To this day, a year later, I still tell people about that event and how motiviating and energizing it was.  My coworkers and I have the poster we received up in our office.  I know they record it as well, but nothing beats a room full of GIS users.  Truely awe insiring.

Hope you have an amazing time regardless!!

Erin

DavidHendrick
New Contributor III

Hi Sheryl,

The New Attendee Orientation meeting will be taking place on Sunday, July 9th from 4:00pm - 5:30pm in the San Diego Convention Center in Ballroom 20A.

Cheers

MelissaDrake
New Contributor II

Thank you for this information. Do I need to sign up for this or just show up?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Melissa - you can find all the conference details/registration here

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

1. While enjoying the expo, if a product island is slammed, you can likely find insight at the Support Neighborhood. In general, Esri support analysts are there to represent Esri's best of class Support. If you've used Support Services in the past, there's a good chance you'll get to meet your hero!

2. Second KGerrow-esristaff‌'s tip on the hidden taco truck.

3. In addition to studying up on the sessions you'd like to attend, compile a list of GIS questions/issues/requests/ideas that you'd like to discuss with product teams. UC represents a unique opportunity to speak one-on-one with the folks who develop the products you rely on. Your feedback counts!

4. Speaking of Support Services, use the My UC site or app schedule an appointment ahead of time. Even folks without a Support contract can leverage this resource. Many customers bring a machine to help demonstrate a question or workflow, and some even VPN into their environment for in depth troubleshooting!

JeffreySutherland
Esri Contributor

Randall - can you and Kelly Gerrow divulge any hints as to the location of the secret taco truck club?

MaryRozmajzl
New Contributor

Hi,

Is there a way for me to NOT get all of these emails?

Thank you.

p.s. glad to help but I don't need to know about every like.

Mary Rozmajzl, MA, MA, GISC, BA

Cartographer

National Park Service

Midwest Regional Office

601 Riverfront Drive

Omaha, NE 68102

(402) 661-1778

FAX (402) 661-1779

Mary_Rozmajzl@nps.gov

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 10:34 AM, Jeffrey Sutherland <geonet@esri.com>

0 Kudos