ModelBuilder: Iterate Feature Selection can't handle grouping by joined fields?

06-18-2014 02:20 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: ryanstillman

Overview: [indent]I have a points layer and a lines layer. There is a join on the points layer using its segment ID number(CID) with a field in the lines layer which contains the name of the line that is used in our databases. I set up a model using "Iterate Feature Selection" at the start of the model to group the points by the joined name field but I get Error" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://help.arcgis.com/EN/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/... 000230 saying how the field could not be found or was not where expected and caused a bad SQL expression. If instead, I choose to group by the segment ID, it works with no problems. What is the deal with using that particular field?[/indent]

Log of Error in Action
Executing (Iterate Feature Selection): IterateFeatureSelection EVERYTHING\ObsPointsFromTrails100m "RECofficalTrailsClippedMORE_Dissolved.Tr_Name #" false
Start Time: Wed Jun 18 16:08:42 2014
Executing (Make Feature Layer): MakeFeatureLayer EVERYTHING\ObsPointsFromTrails100m I_ObsPointsFromTrails100m_RECofficalTrailsClippedMORE_Dissolved.Tr_Name ""RECofficalTrailsClippedMORE_Dissolved.Tr_Name" = 'Alaska Basin'" # #
Start Time: Wed Jun 18 16:08:42 2014
ERROR 000230: Failed selecting with "RECofficalTrailsClippedMORE_Dissolved.Tr_Name" = 'Alaska Basin'
An expected Field was not found or could not be retrieved properly.
An expected Field was not found or could not be retrieved properly. [ObsPointsFromTrails100m]
Failed to execute (Make Feature Layer).
Failed at Wed Jun 18 16:08:42 2014 (Elapsed Time: 0.15 seconds)
Failed to execute (Iterate Feature Selection).
Failed at Wed Jun 18 16:08:42 2014 (Elapsed Time: 0.37 seconds)

More Info
[indent]The points file is called "ObsPointsFromTrails100m"
The lines file is named "RECofficalTrailsClippedMORE_Dissolved"

I have a series of lines along which I have points that are a consistent distance apart along each line segment. The lines have fields like NAME and LENGTH, the points only have OID, SHAPE, and CID, which appears to be a unique identifier for which segment that particular point is on.

I've joined their two attribute tables based on CID and NAME so I can avoid using the alphabetical rank of each group of points(the CID) and use the segment's NAME for other later things.[/indent]

Pictures
[indent]This is what I wanted to work:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]34711[/ATTACH]

In this model section:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]34712[/ATTACH]

But it didn't, so I ended up trying this, which did work:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]34713[/ATTACH][/indent]

Success Log
Executing (Iterate Feature Selection): IterateFeatureSelection EVERYTHING\ObsPointsFromTrails100m "ObsPointsFromTrails100m.CID #" false
Start Time: Wed Jun 18 14:55:56 2014
Executing (Make Feature Layer): MakeFeatureLayer EVERYTHING\ObsPointsFromTrails100m I_ObsPointsFromTrails100m_ObsPointsFromTrails100m.CID ""ObsPointsFromTrails100m.CID" = 1" # #
Start Time: Wed Jun 18 14:55:57 2014
Succeeded at Wed Jun 18 14:55:57 2014 (Elapsed Time: 0.19 seconds)
Succeeded at Wed Jun 18 14:55:57 2014 (Elapsed Time: 0.39 seconds)
etc...

Any enlightenment you can share will be gratefully appreciated. 🙂
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies