Select to view content in your preferred language

Create Route Event Layer: Layer does't show up

05-03-2018 12:02 PM
SteveRhyne2
New Contributor III

I'm trying to create a route event layer (lines) but the layer never appears in the map view or table of contents. When I perform the task it processes the table and finishes much to quickly, and it does not provide an error message. The table driving the process was generated from "Locate Features Along a Line" to identify point locations. I then created a From and To field based on the measured values that will be used to create segments between points. Unfortunately something appears without any error messages.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TedKowal
Regular Contributor II

This still baffles me when it occurs....  some of the things I try when it does:

1.  Zoom in very close then slowly zoom out (some times the event layer appears)

2.  Open up the event attribute table, select a record and right click and choose the zoom to option.

3.  Convert event layer to a shape file

Finally if all else fails... I find a way to ad an ObjectID (one that arcmap recognizes) to the overlay table...most of the time it is creating a false feature class so ArcGis puts in the ObjectID then populate it with the event data...then use that table for event mapping....  <---- This is painful but when all else fails this generally works  ...  After 15 years, I still don't know why this happens --- when it does it is very random occurrence.

You can always use Make Table Query(Something I always forget and end up doing it the hardway described above) to get a recognized ObjectID field into the data table....

Some good information can be found here:  Fundamentals of ObjectID fields—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop