Select to view content in your preferred language

Desktop Maps for Locators

05-07-2024 09:26 AM
BrettLessner
Occasional Contributor

How are other telecoms sharing their data with locators, and what applications are your locators using to view your data offline on desktops?

We've been using ArcGIS Explorer for Windows and Field Maps on Windows Subsystem for Android to view mobile map packages for the last few years. However, the end appears to be near for both options.

We really liked this workflow because the mmpks could be updated every night, the locator could sync in the morning, and the Windows interface resembled the mobile interface making it easy to move between the truck (laptop) and walking route (phone). Is there anything else out there, even non-Esri, that resembles this?

Note on ArcGIS Earth as an alternative: We do not view this as a viable option because of the processing power to run it and its inability to update mmpks within the application.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sondickerson
New Contributor III

Brett,

If you have Arcgis Online, you could set up a field maps and use it on an android phone or iphone.  Field maps can also be used on ipads.  If you want it view only, you can turn off editing in the field map or you could create a view of the content and make it not editable.  For areas that have poor reception, field maps can be downloaded to the device for viewing or data collection and then synced in the evening.  

0 Kudos
BrettLessner
Occasional Contributor

@sondickerson 

Apologies, let me clarify. We do use mobile devices as I noted in my post. However, I'm specifically looking for alternatives for the desktop - we need offline access to maps on laptops in our trucks. 

0 Kudos
sondickerson
New Contributor III

The Arcgis Online Field Maps have an offline setting.  If you turn it one and configure the parameters, your OSP will be able to go offline in the field and then sync each evening to upload their edits and get map updates.  This article may be helpful:  https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/field-maps/field-mobility/work-offline-with-field-maps/

For desktop apps, you could build your own Arcgis Online Experience Builder editing and viewing apps.

https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/arcgis-experience-builder/resources

0 Kudos
BrettLessner
Occasional Contributor

@sondickerson 

I'm not sure if I'm making my issue clear. We already have an existing offline workflow. Our issue is the pending loss of how we view our offline data on desktops. The only other Esri product I can think of is ArcGIS Earth, but, as noted in my original post, is not considered a viable option. I don't believe Experience Builder can be taken offline. 

The goal of this post is to hear how others are providing data to their locators and how their locators view it offline on a desktop/laptop.

0 Kudos