Select to view content in your preferred language

Lite License incompatible with certain layers in MMPK?

Jump to solution
11-21-2023 09:40 AM
dmc76
by
New Contributor III

I have some MMPK files from a customer that I'm developing an iOS app for.  There are some geometry layers and some image layers.  When the app is in "developer" mode (i.e. no license string applied), the MMPK files load and display correctly.  When a license string is applied (Lite license), the MMPK loads without errors, but the MapView is black.  I can still enumerate the layers after the MMPK is loaded, but nothing will display.  The customer has a Publisher license and is saving the MMPK with the anonymous flag. 

For debugging, I have imported one of the MMPK files into ArcGIS Pro (Trial) and systematically removed layers (re-exporting the MMPK and re-loading it into my test app as I went).  I found that the imagery layers they have supplied (satellite and hillshade) are the layers that are causing the MapView to go black.  I can replace those layers in the MMPK with the ArcGIS Pro "Imagery" basemap layer and the Esri "World Hillshade (for Export)" basemap that I downloaded from Esri, and everything works just fine (and looks very similar to their imagery); but I can't really tell our customer they have to change their maps - my job is to make an app that works with what they are supplying me.

Is there some setting or attribute or property that I can check/change on a map layer to debug what appears to be a licensing issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello.

That's correct: non-Esri proprietary layer sources such as local rasters require a Standard license. This is true whether delivered as standalone files (e.g. .geotiff), or packaged up through a format such as Mobile Map Packages or Mobile Scene Packages.

That information is included here, but I will see if we can be more explicit about that.

For the layers that did not display, you should be able to look at the loadError on that layer to understand why.

Related: where a layer can load OK but subsequently fails to draw for some other reason (e.g. the network drops for a connected layer) then you can also check the viewState. In this case, the license check error would be on layer load though, so view state won't be useful. A reasonable rule of thumb is start by checking if a layer loaded ok first, and if so, check the view state to see why it might have stopped working.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dmc76
by
New Contributor III

Follow-up:  I think I've narrowed it down to raster layers (i.e. tiff, png, etc).  Any MMPK I've tried with a raster layer (from any data source) is only showing as a black MapView/no display when using a Lite license.

0 Kudos
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello.

That's correct: non-Esri proprietary layer sources such as local rasters require a Standard license. This is true whether delivered as standalone files (e.g. .geotiff), or packaged up through a format such as Mobile Map Packages or Mobile Scene Packages.

That information is included here, but I will see if we can be more explicit about that.

For the layers that did not display, you should be able to look at the loadError on that layer to understand why.

Related: where a layer can load OK but subsequently fails to draw for some other reason (e.g. the network drops for a connected layer) then you can also check the viewState. In this case, the license check error would be on layer load though, so view state won't be useful. A reasonable rule of thumb is start by checking if a layer loaded ok first, and if so, check the view state to see why it might have stopped working.

0 Kudos