Using the field calculator

06-18-2014 06:34 AM
Labels (1)
JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III
Hey Everyone,

I was hoping to be able to update the Z field in the Control Points layer using a join and the field calculator, but it looks like that is not an option.  The Field Calculator is grayed out.

Is the field calculator not allowed when working with a parcel fabric?  If so, does anyone have a work-around for updating elevations or any of the other fields in bulk? I can change field values for multiple points in the attribute window, but that only works if I am giving them all the same value, this isn't the case with my elevations.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks,
Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobertParty
New Contributor III
Two things I might try,

1)Have you tried enabling editing on the editor toolbar and then going into the attribute table and trying to change the values?

2) you could create a new field in your attribute table for your elevations, and then calculate them off of your other fields.

Not sure if that is what you are looking for, but reply if it is not, and we can try and figure it out!
0 Kudos
JeffWard
Thanks for your quick response.

1)Have you tried enabling editing on the editor toolbar and then going into the attribute table and trying to change the values?

I want to be able to change the elevation values in bulk instead of one at a time, so the attribute table entry isn't going to work.  I want to use the field calculator.

2) you could create a new field in your attribute table for your elevations, and then calculate them off of your other fields.

I was able to add my own field and calculate it, but I need to update the Z field in the parcel fabric so it is available for adjustments, and it is apparently blocked from bulk updates.  I am able to calculate the Accuracy Comments field to populate it with the index number to the tie sheet, so that should save us some time.
Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
RyanKelso
Some fields in the parcel fabric are flagged as non-editable or read-only, and some are not.  If you look at the properties of the Z field in the Control attribute table, you can see that Make field read only is checked, and we are not allowed to change this for some reason.  I'd certainly want to do what you're trying to do, so I find this an odd restriction.  If a parcel fabric field is not flagged as read-only, such as SurveyDate, then you can use Field Calculator.

My idea for a work around...  Export the control points to a regular feature class or shapefile.  Do the join and field calculation as you were trying to do.  Import the control points from this feature class or shapefile and set the import up so the imported control points will be merged with the existing control points, and in the process update the Z using the imported control point data.
0 Kudos