Simultaneous Conveyance Type Definitions

06-27-2014 11:06 AM
Labels (1)
JohnFell
Occasional Contributor III
Where can we get more information or definitions for the types of simultaneous conveyances found in the lrSimConType domain?
We are interested in using more of these at our organization. We found that for our subdivision boundaries that are not recorded at the county clerk�??s office a simultaneous conveyance type exists that suits the purpose of these parcels. The lrSimConType 'Assessor Plat' will help us symbolize these on our map even though they do not have a legal data associated with them. We are interested in more features of the parcel fabric parcel types that can help us better model our land records data appropriately within the industry�??s best practices.
Tags (2)
4 Replies
ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor
Where can we get more information or definitions for the types of simultaneous conveyances found in the lrSimConType domain?
We are interested in using more of these at our organization. We found that for our subdivision boundaries that are not recorded at the county clerk�??s office a simultaneous conveyance type exists that suits the purpose of these parcels. The lrSimConType 'Assessor Plat' will help us symbolize these on our map even though they do not have a legal data associated with them. We are interested in more features of the parcel fabric parcel types that can help us better model our land records data appropriately within the industry�??s best practices.

John - the best resource would be the "GIS and Land Records" book by Nancy Von Meyer.  Frank Conkling did a great job summarizing the parcel types here.

Hope this helps - let us know if you have specifics that aren't covered.
0 Kudos
JohnFell
Thank you Chris for those resources! I looked at Frank's blog and in Von Meyer's book but am still at a loss for defining the lrSimConType domain items. I did my best in defining these terms based on online resources but definitely need some guidance.

Perhaps other survey and land records professionals can help me out? I think most of these pertain to the PLSS. Did I miss anything or could I have defined these better?

[/HR]

1. Sequence Conveyance - Land is conveyed sequentially rather than simultaneously. Inherent in these conveyances is the principal of junior and senior right to land in cases of an overlap.

2. Assessor Plat - Plat prepared by the local assessor for the delineation of lots and blocks.

3. Plat of Survey - Map prepared by a surveyor that provides information about individual properties in the form of metes and bounds descriptions, lots and block numbers.

4. Cemetery Plat - Map that provides information about individual cemetery plots in the form of metes and bounds descriptions, lots and block number numbers.

5. Farm Lot - Platted lot used for the purpose of farming?

6. French Long Lot - Originating in French colonial settlements the French Survey System introduced lots that stretched in order to reach transportation waterways and facilitated farming.

7. Grant of Land - Conveyance of land to an individual from the government often as payment for military service or as an incentive of colonizing and improving the land.

8. Homestead Entry - Survey prepared under the Homestead Act of 1862 as an application for title to public land in increments of up to 160 acres per applicant.

9. Indian Allotment - Public or Native American reservation lands allocated to a Native American for individual use.

10. Land Grant - Title of land conveyed to the United States (e.g., Spanish Land Grants).

11. Small Holding Claim - Land possessed by claimants who entered onto the property 20 or more years before the land was officially surveyed by the U.S. government.

12. Small Tracts Act - Public vacant lands sold to individuals for residence, recreation or business purposes.

13. Texas Land Grant - One of many forms of conveyance of Texas Lands by the Republic of Texas and its predecessor governments to individuals as payment for military service or for improvement of unallocated lands in the public domain.

14. Townsite - Public lands reserved for urban use in the form of blocks and town lots.

15. United States Survey - Survey within the Public Land Survey System?

0 Kudos
nancyvonmeyer
New Contributor III

If I understand the issue correctly - you have survey plats that have not been recorded but have information on them you would like to incorporate into your parcel data. 

The first thing to acknowledge is that the simultaneous conveyances and survey plats (plats of survey) are regulated and defined by state law and potentially local regulation and ordinance.  So this answer may depend on your local conditions.  But in general, an unrecorded survey would probably best be characterized as a plat of survey.  You may want to add a domain value for unrecorded plat of survey, if that is something you want to track separately.  You could also track the recorded status in the project information. There is a chance that the unrecorded surveys are actually sequential conveyances, if the plat of survey did not simultaneously define the units within it.  I am not sure how your state law stands on that subject.  Can an unrecorded plat of survey create a set of land descriptions in your state? 

The other commonly recognized simultaneous conveyances are subdivision plats, condominium plats, and certified surveys or small plat surveys.  The Assessor plat is most commonly a quiet tittle action that is fairly involved as every affected landowner has to sign to it and all prior plats are vacated. 

I am I close?  Is this what you were asking?

Nancy
0 Kudos
JohnFell

Nancy,

I think that the unrecorded plat of survey is a better definition of what we are trying to track. Typically our unrecorded plats are referenced in deeds with the preface (A.K.A.). They are historic surveys that for an unknown reason were not recorded. Mapping staff use them in identifying properties and creating new parcels.

I would be interested in learning more about what constitutes an "Assessor Plat". Is this a recorded document? How is it created and what is involved?

0 Kudos