Geocoding toolbar

06-06-2014 01:54 PM
Labels (1)
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
I'm having issues with the Geocoding toolbar.  There is a big long space to enter an address and the tooltip comes up telling you what to do but when I enter the address, nothing happens and I get the Windows error sound as if there is some invisible error message somewhere.  I use this toolbar anyways for the Address Inspector to help assign new addresses but it would be nice to use it to quickly pan to a certain address in ArcMap.  I attached the image just to be clear it is in the center where I entered a valid address.  [ATTACH=CONFIG]34422[/ATTACH]
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
18 Replies
StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III

I guess I've never seen the geocoding toolbar before.  Is this part of a custom toolset?  You could use the Find Location Tool ArcGIS Help 10.1 in arcmap to pan to address locations.

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Steven,

I discovered this is the Standard geocoding toolbar works the same way as the Find Location Tool that you mentioned but is its own toolbar.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

That may be the case.  I can't tell for sure but I do have an Address Management Add-in that it may be a part of.  I believe that came from the Local Government section of the Resource Center.  They've changed this around so much in the last couple of years I'm not sure exactly where to find it now.  Maybe I'll do some additional tagging to see if that helps.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
BrianOevermann
Occasional Contributor III

Josh,

Looking at your attached graphic, that toolbar is the "standard" geocoding toolbar included in ArcMap.  Right-click on a blank area of the toolbar/menu and you can turn on/off various toolbars, including 'Geocoding'.  You can also access the same list via the Customize-->Toolbars menu.

That said, your original issue is that nothing is found when you type in an address.  The toolbar defaults to the World Geocode Service (ArcGIS Online).  Is it possible that this address is not captured by the data that locator is built from?  I ignore that locator and instead use the locators built against our data.  You can drop down the left-most list in the toolbar and select "<Manage Address Locators...>" and select your own locator(s) to choose from.

After another look at your graphic it appears that you are pointing it to a different locator than the default, so maybe what I wrote above is info you are well-informed about.  When was the last time that locator got rebuilt?  If the address shown in the graphic is a new addition to your streets data, a match may not be found until you rebuild the locator's indexes.  Also, is the locator set up to need a city/state/zipcode? That may be another reason for no results being found.  As for the Windows sound, I've never come across that.  If the locator doesn't find a match it simply indicates that in a tooltip--at least in my experience.

I don't have the Address Management add-in installed.  Since you mentioned that you do have it installed, maybe there is some conflict between the add-in and the "regular" geocoding toolbar (i.e. either a bug or by design).

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Yeah, the tooltip that is displayed is the one that tells you what to enter and Single Line input comes up too and like I said the address inspector works just fine and all other uses of this locator display just fine.  I just get the warning sound that I am trying to do something even though an invisible dialog box is open.  The sound I am describing is the same one you get when you try to close out of an application without saving and the message comes up asking if you want to save. I removed the Address Management Add-in and nothing changes. 

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
JeffRogers
Esri Contributor

Josh, do you see a geocoding service description to the left of the address box?  Something like World Geocode Services?  Could you describe what you see? GeocodeToolbar.PNG

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I assume by your second message that you saw that I posted that in the original post?  It is my own locator service.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
JeffRogers
Esri Contributor

Josh, it looks like you tried to attach an image of the issue your seeing?  I am seeing  [ATTACH=CONFIG]34422[/ATTACH], any chance you could reattach the image?

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

The attachment is there Capture.JPG.  This forum thread was brought from the old forums into Geonet so it looks a little funny.

By the way, it doesn't matter which locator I use, I tried the World Geocode Service and came up with the same problem.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos