arcmap 10.4 won't open ecw

Jump to solution
02-15-2017 04:18 PM
Labels (1)
ScottTaylor3
New Contributor III

My installation of Arc 10.4 has suddenly stopped opening ecw files.  It did this after I simply closed the programs (ArcMAP and Arc Catalog) and later reopened them.  We need to use ECWs so a fix would be hugely appreciated!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottTaylor3
New Contributor III

Thanks for that.  I tried renaming the "raster" registry key to "OldRaster" without success, as the functionality has returned with the installation of the ECW plug-in I'll hold off on the updating of the app. profile for now but very grateful for the suggestion.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If that is all you did, I would contact tech support since ecw is a supported format.  You might want to think back to see if anything was updated or installed in the intervening period

0 Kudos
ScottTaylor3
New Contributor III

Thanks, yes, it was very odd.  I used the Windows cross icon (top right corner of window) to close them as I was in a hurry as opposed to the file...exit command, that was the only unusual part of the process.  Nothing was installed in between to the best of my knowledge. 

0 Kudos
ScottTaylor3
New Contributor III

Not sure if this is the full explanation:  I installed the ECW for ArcGIS Desktop plug-in and ECW functionality has returned to ArcMAP and ArcCatalog. However, the plug-in was not previously installed so Arc10.4 must have native ECW support which has somehow become corrupted during my closing of the programs.  Hope this helps someone else.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Try Resetting your ArcGIS application profile‌.

Also make following changes to registry

1. Press the Windows Key in conjuntion with the "R" key on your keyboard and type "regedit" - this will open the Windows registry editor.
  2. Navigate to:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > ESRI and rename the "ESRI" folder to "ESRI_OLD".
    Note that on a 64-bit machine, the location is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE> Software> Wow6432Node> ESRI
  3. Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > ESRI and rename the "ESRI" folder to "ESRI_OLD".

*Note: The templates of ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap/ArcCatalog/ArcScene) will be set to default.

Reboot machine and start ArcMap.

Think Location
ScottTaylor3
New Contributor III

Thanks for that.  I tried renaming the "raster" registry key to "OldRaster" without success, as the functionality has returned with the installation of the ECW plug-in I'll hold off on the updating of the app. profile for now but very grateful for the suggestion.

0 Kudos