Advice for focus on Tax Parcels (land records)

03-13-2018 06:36 AM
Labels (1)
WayneMillen
New Contributor II

Helping a community explore transitioning from paper tax parcels to a digital parcel layer for future parcel edits and tax map production. They might be interested in the future moving to a broader use of this and other community data--perhaps taking advantage of the ArcGIS for Local Government. Their priority/budget is focused on the former. 

I see that they could apparently go two ways, one is to create a custom parcel fabric with their own "Local Information Model" and then use the ESRI Parcel Editor/Fabric tools to do the above parcel editing and mapping work. The other appears to "enable" the ESRI Local Government Information Model. 

The latter looks much more complex and complicated than the former. What experience do folks have with these two methods and advantages?  If they didn't choose to enable the LGIM at first would they be able to relatively easily covert into the LGIM at a later date?  

Also, does anyone have experience using the Land Records maps and apps in the ArcGIS for Local Government? I have not been able to easily find out whether the  Local Government is an extension or what? 

Thanks for your thoughts.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
KaraShindle
New Contributor II

I have heard more than once that it is easier to create a new parcel fabric

then to migrate to one.

Kara L. Shindle | GIS Coordinator

County of Franklin, Pennsylvania

Information Technology Services

Administration Annex

218 North Second Street | Chambersburg, PA. 17201