XY coordinates do not match with shapefile

Jump to solution
03-19-2015 03:43 PM
JoseCastillo
New Contributor II

Hello Community

I have data for some incidents in Sucre, Venezuela.

I've tried to match the point data with the shapefile, but I haven't been able to make them match.

I already tried to project the data using the same projection system as the other layers.

I also used Add XY Data and selected the UTM Zone 19 projection system, but it didn't work.

Can someone help me out?
Thank you very much in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JenoraD_Acosta
Occasional Contributor

Hmm ... I didn't encounter either of those problems.  Two quick questions ...

1. Did you start from a blank map?  "Failed to alter the spatial reference" can happen if the dataset is read-only or being locked by another application.  If it was active in another map or project, that could have been the issue...

2. At what point are you trying to view the attribute table?  If the Project tool fails and the attribute table of the layer it was trying to create is empty, that would be expected as the Project tool did not complete.

If you cannot view the attribute table after Display XY Data ... that would be a different issue.  This article may have some clues as to why you are not seeing the attributes as expected:  27589 - Import XY data tables to ArcMap and convert the data to a shapefile

I guess best case is that you maybe had another map with the same layers open and that is what is causing both issues.

Let me know how it goes.

Jenora

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JenoraD_Acosta
Occasional Contributor

Jose,  I just took a quick look, here’s what I did starting from a blank map:

• Add a basemap, add Zonas – they should line up.
  • Add the Event table to map, right click the Event table and choose Display XY Data.  In the Display XY Data pop out box, under Coordinate System of Input Coordinates, click edit and set the coordinate system to GCS_WGS_1984.  Click OK and the points should show on top of your polygons.
  • Use the tool Project (Data Management) to project to WGS_1984_UTM_Zone_19N ... Then they shouldn't go anywhere.

Let me know if that works ...

Best,

Jenora

JoseCastillo
New Contributor II

Thank you so much.

Indeed, now the points allign with the shapefile; nevertheless, I now face two problems:

1. Whenever I try to project the data, I cannot do it. It says that it "Failed to alter the spatial reference".

2. I noticed that when I open the attribute table, nothing shows up. It seems like the information just disappears. The attribute table is blank. Why is that? do you have any clue? 

0 Kudos
JenoraD_Acosta
Occasional Contributor

Hmm ... I didn't encounter either of those problems.  Two quick questions ...

1. Did you start from a blank map?  "Failed to alter the spatial reference" can happen if the dataset is read-only or being locked by another application.  If it was active in another map or project, that could have been the issue...

2. At what point are you trying to view the attribute table?  If the Project tool fails and the attribute table of the layer it was trying to create is empty, that would be expected as the Project tool did not complete.

If you cannot view the attribute table after Display XY Data ... that would be a different issue.  This article may have some clues as to why you are not seeing the attributes as expected:  27589 - Import XY data tables to ArcMap and convert the data to a shapefile

I guess best case is that you maybe had another map with the same layers open and that is what is causing both issues.

Let me know how it goes.

Jenora

JoseCastillo
New Contributor II

Thank you so much.
I couldn't view the attribute table after Displaying the XY Data. Thus, I changed the properties of my table and that resolved my issue.
You're the best!
Thanks for everything.

0 Kudos
JenoraD_Acosta
Occasional Contributor

Happy to help!

-Jenora

0 Kudos