Search Radius for Line Density

12-15-2014 08:59 AM
AmandaHoward
New Contributor

Hi all,

I have been working with GIS for many years but I am fairly new to the spatial analyst side of things. I am working with many satellite tracks for many different individual animals and would like to determine a migratory corridor for these animals. We have decided to use line density for the analysis of these data. Our question is: how to determine the search radius, which I have learned is very important?

I found out that one way to do this would be to use the tools on movebank.org like ArcMET and Home Range Tools. However to use these tools, a time/date stamp is required for every point on the satellite track and we do not have this information for all of the points. This is also the reason why we decided to use line density instead of kernel density. So we decided to use line density in ArcGIS.

I found that one way that many people determine a search radius for point density or kernel density is by using the Incremental Spatial Autocorrelation. However to perform this type of spatial statistics, one needs count data/incidence data. Since these are satellite tracks, the data inherently is only one animal per track (line).

So based on these issues, does anyone have any ideas on how to determine the search radius? Any other spatial statistics that we could use?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Best,

Amanda

0 Kudos
0 Replies