Select to view content in your preferred language

Spatial Selection; Lines Near Edges of Polygons

Jump to solution
10-20-2014 01:05 PM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I need to select from a feature class of streets, just those streets that are within a given distance to the edge (shared edge) of city boundary polygons. Does anyone have an idea how I may go about this?  (ArcGIS desktop v 10.0 sp5, workstation license)

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

If your boundary polygons are topologically correct (i.e. if the boundaries fall exactly on each other), you can run the Intersect tool with boundaries as the only input and Output Type = Line to get shared edges, then select by location "are within a distance of the source layer feature" to the shared edges.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Attached is a graphic of what I'm after....SpatialSelection.png

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

apologies of I am missing something, but I assume you have ruled out Select by location within a distance of as being the solution?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Don-  tried that but it selects all the streets within the polygon since technically if they are within the polygon, are are within 150 feet of it....

selection.png

results.png

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

If your boundary polygons are topologically correct (i.e. if the boundaries fall exactly on each other), you can run the Intersect tool with boundaries as the only input and Output Type = Line to get shared edges, then select by location "are within a distance of the source layer feature" to the shared edges.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Nice one Darren!  I get a bunch of extras but I can get rid of them easily....solution.png

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Joe...forgot about the ones on boundaries,.  Check out the Clementini options which I forgot to point out as viable options...from the same help files references

CONTAINS_CLEMENTINIThis spatial relationship yields the same results as COMPLETELY_CONTAINS with one exception. If the selecting feature is entirely on the boundary of the input feature (no part is properly inside or outside), the feature will not be selected. CLEMENTINI defines the boundary polygon as the line separating inside and outside, the boundary of a line is defined as its end points, and the boundary of a point is always empty.

or

COMPLETELY_WITHINThe features in the input layer will be selected if they are completely within or contained by a selecting feature. The selecting features must be polygons.

• WITHIN_CLEMENTINIThe result will be identical to WITHIN except if the entirety of the feature in the input layer is on the boundary of the feature in the selecting layer, the feature will not be selected. CLEMENTINI defines the boundary polygon as the line separating inside and outside, the boundary of a line is defined as its end points, and the boundary of a point is always empty.

but alas, there is no within a distance, so you have to do a clementini selection, switch the selection, then perform the within a distance from the selected set (if memory serves...don't have files to test at present)

0 Kudos