Setting a Reference Scale Question ?

12-21-2018 03:16 PM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

I have a question for you. It is about setting a reference scale in the Data Frame properties  that I am trying to understand. I am using ArcGIS 10.5.1 .

Working with data frame reference scales—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

So if you are preparing a map and you have a lot of labels that needed to be shown in a specific area .

So from what I understand to set the reference scale, it has to be in the Data View or in the Layout View ?

So if I am working on a small area in the Data Frame properties and set  at 1:24,000 in the Data Frame first and then

change it over to the Layout view.

So if you see the labels are bigger than the 24,000. Do I need to go back to the Data Frame Properties and hit the Annotation Group and create a new group. So for example you have a mountain peaks and you want them to set at 

24,000 or lower ? And enable the check the mountain peaks on ?

Is that what I should be doing  ?

Your feedback much appreciate.

P.S. You can give me a call should you have more questions ---  719-281-2119 from 8 am to 4:40 pm Monday to Friday.

P.S. As of 30 JANUARY 2019, I fixed the link and it was broken...

Adrian WelshChris Donohue, GISPDan Patterson  -----  Since no one answer my questions, would you answer my question ? Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Robert, I don't use arcmap any more and I rarely need to make maps in my work, so I will defer to those that do

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Dan, Thank you for your kindly respond back...

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

When creating maps in ArcGIS Desktop for printing, I usually set the Reference Scale to be what is appropriate for the Layout View, then bookmark the view (while in Layout View) so it shows the full map as desired for output.  Then if you want to zoom in on stuff, use the Layout View Zoom Tool so you are still at the scale (instead of the standard zoom tool).  The bookmark is handy to return the map to the correct scale and alignment once you are done with it, as often you may need to pan/zoom as you check the map and label/annotate it.

However, I am not exactly sure if this addresses what you are looking for?  Is there any chance you instead actually need something like Scale Dependency?  This would be used for instances where you want information to only be displayed at certain scales.

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.5/map/working-with-layers/displaying-layers-at-certain-map-sc...

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Thank you ! I can see that there is a tool you mention Layout View Zoom Tool.  I need to check that out.  

Thank you for the link too

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Would I be able to use this method to use "Blow up" if you are working in a large area  with multiple labels and they are hard to read such as clutter to each other .Would I be able to use this way in the Bookmarked  and then insert it in a new data frame ?  Let me know if you are not able to clear understand. I can attach a map after this.

Thanks !

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

You can bookmark each data frame separately.  To do so, "Activate" a data frame by right-clicking on it in the Table of Contents and selecting "Activate", then set the view and create a bookmark.  It can helpful to give it a distinctive name, as it can be easy at times when working on a map with multiple layouts to not realize which frame is active.  For example, name the main map bookmark "Main map", use "Locator Map" for the locator map bookmark, etc.

A tidbit for helping to review the map.  Once you have your map all set up with multiple frames and each one bookmarked to the exact final scale, it is helpful to review it in Layout Mode after first hitting the 1:1 button on the Layout Toolbar.  Then use the Layout Pan tool to move around.  This will show you the final appearance, barring slight changes in colors and lineweigthts from using different printers. 

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Here is the PDF of the map I worked on.  I just need your feedback and comments ...Thanks...

0 Kudos