Select to view content in your preferred language

optimized hot spot analysis crash Pro 2.2

11-17-2019 06:57 PM
Karen_AllisonMeezan
New Contributor

On ArcGIS Pro 2.4.2 running the Optimized Hot Spot analysis crashes ArcGIS Pro.  No warning or error message - literally disappears.  As a test I ran Hot Spot Analysis (non-optimized), and it produced expected results. The crash occurs when Optimized Hot Spot Analysis is run on different layers (so it is not unique to one specific layer).  No error logs are produced - they would normally appear in .../AppData/Roaming/Esri/errorlogs or .../AppData/Local/Esri/errorlogs

The error is consistent - it fails every time on every layer. The analysis starts normally and progresses to the point of performing Anselin Local Moran's I calculations, which reaches somewhere over 95% complete, then ArcGIS Pro instantly disappears - no warning, error message, or error log of any kind

System: AMD A10-8700p processor with 12G memory.
OS: Windows 10 Home version 1809 64bit (Current with all updates)
No other significant software running simultaneously other than a standard browser.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MagnusSandqvist
New Contributor

I have the same problem. At least with larger amounts data. In getting to know ArcGIS PRO exercise 8b it doesnt work with robbery but when I tried it on robbery_jan it worked.

Tried to update drivers switched from DirectX to OpenGL.

0 Kudos
EmilyLane
Emerging Contributor

Have you figured out how to fix the error. I'm in ArcGIS Pro 2.4 and I have the same issue... it gets to 99% on the Moran statistic and just crashes, no error report, nothing... I have updated driver from manufacturer, tried different projections, tried different rendering options. Nothing works. 

0 Kudos
ColinMcLellan
New Contributor

I am having this same issue. I need to do this for my ArcGIS class to get my certification. Followed all the steps in the  Getting to Know ArcGIS Pro 1st Edition book. Please help.

0 Kudos
EmilyLane2
New Contributor

Hey Colin, this won't be encouraging... but I feel I must reply. I have had approximately 6-8 phone calls with the ESRI folks about this and we have done Zoom sessions to try and work through the issue. We have literally tried everything they could think of and still it crashes in the same place. The workaround for me is to just run in the ArcGIS for Desktop which I am fortunate to also have through my school. The last thing the ESRI support guy had me do is to uninstall my antivirus and try to run the analysis again. Didn't work. He is at his wits end too. I have been working primarily with one guy about this and he definitely knows his stuff... and when I say we have tried everything, I mean it. He recreated the environment that I have on my laptop in his studio and he didn't have any issue running the statistic. They are pretty settled on it being a machine specific issue... but it's so strange because the other spatial statistic tools work in ArcPro and the optimized hot spot works fine in ArcGIS for Desktop. I have been dealing with this for several months and my dissertation is riding on being able to do this analysis... I will have to use my ArcGIS for Desktop which is fine I guess or use another machine on campus -- but that's not exactly convenient with COVID right now. I'm in the vulnerable group and so am avoiding working/schooling on campus right now. I literally bought this laptop I have so I could use the Arc software because I use Mac otherwise. If this is machine specific, I will get another machine (hello higher credit card bills), but geez... this is frustrating either way. As of now, the support guy assigned to my case is still working on trying to figure out other things to do. But we are pretty much at a dead end...

0 Kudos
LynneBuie
Esri Contributor
Hi Emily, Colin, Magnus and Karen,

I am sorry to hear you have been having issues in this tool. We had some reports of this tool crashing in earlier releases of ArcGIS Pro, but our team fixed that specific issue in ArcGIS Pro 2.4.

When a crash happens, a crash dump file should be stored in the following folder. Do you find any files here with a timestamp that matches with the crash time? If you do, I can provide a way for you to send this to me so I can look into it:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ESRI\ErrorReports

If you haven't had any success on your calls to support, here are some other things you can try:
  • Try setting the Distance Band (Override Settings) to a very small value and see if the tool runs. I suspect your issues might be due to lack of memory, and reducing the Distance Band will reduce the number of neighbors for each feature so that you might have enough memory. If this works, you can experiment with increasing the distance band and see what works.
  • If you are not using an analysis field, you can do something similar with the Cell Size (Override Settings) - set a large Cell Size so there are fewer aggregated features.
  • If these still don't work, you might want to try and monitor memory usage in the Windows Task Manager. If memory is spiking, it may be that your machine does not have the memory available to use this tool. How much RAM does your machine have?
  • If it's not a memory issue, updating to ArcGIS Pro 2.5 might work. I just tested running the tool with over 400,000 features in ArcGIS Pro 2.5, and the tool successfully ran. How many features are you trying to use with the tool?
Please let us know if you have any follow up questions or these don't work.
Regards,
Lynne
0 Kudos
LisaBoyett
New Contributor

Hi Lynne,

I’m using the most recent version of ArcGIS Pro desktop and it is still crashing whenI open the Optimized Hotspot Analysis tool. I have plenty of memory (I think). I’m running it in Windows 11. Hoping for some suggestions to resolve the issue.

0 Kudos