I want to do spatial analysis to create accessibiity map by geographical area

06-14-2016 02:50 AM
charlesadriku
New Contributor

The intention is to help identify areas of need for further development and improvement for the affected communities.The data sets I have include road network,market locations and population.Is it possible to generate accessibility index to create the map?If yes how do i do that.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

the criteria for accessibility needs to be clearly defined before you can proceed since you don't even know if you have the correct data and data in the appropriate form  What literature have you read and what audience are you going to assess accessibility for?

0 Kudos
charlesadriku
New Contributor

Thanx a lot Dan.The data sets I have are road network classified by grades, Local markets with coordinates all vector shape file format;Total population but each geographical entity..The audience definitely are local authorities who wish to prioritize service delivery to areas with least accessibility in terms of developing road infrastructure..I have not read any literature but I came across a map that showed such anaysis and got impressed hence desire to do this.Unfortunately I have not got any literature on this.If you have any idea on such literature that will be good start for me.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

well, that is still too broad, so I will let others weigh in.  Other data sources you might consider would include traffic studies (volumes, times etc).  Surely the local authorities have an idea what problem they are trying to address.

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Have you searched the internet for existing datasets/methods? This may be too crude for your analysis but the obvious one that leaps out is this:

A global map of Accessibility

0 Kudos
LeileiDuan1
New Contributor III

Agree with above, this is still a very broad topic... If traffic volume dataset is available, maybe creating a service area would help.

0 Kudos