Select to view content in your preferred language

How do I get the locators to give better alternative candidates?

03-15-2018 02:05 PM
BeckyColwell-Ongenae
New Contributor III

This has been an issue since the overhaul of locators at version 10. I've never been able to get the locators in any version 10.x.x to give me candidate alternatives similar to the ones in the US One Address with Zone locator from 9.3.1 (attached).

Here are examples of what I am talking about...

1st Scenario - How unit/suite/apt/etc is handled - The unit number doesn't exist in our address points layer unit field (ex. 912 E WASHINGTON ST #1) that the locator is built on, but the main address does (ex. 912 E WASHINGTON ST). Why doesn't the 10.5.1 locator (US Address - Single House Subaddress) return the main address as a candidate with a lower score than 100? I've set the spelling sensitivity and candidate score mins extremely low (See 1stScenario.png).  The locator I made in 9.3.1 US One Address with Zone returns a candidate.  Is there something I can change in the settings of the locator to get it to do what I'm looking for?

2nd Scenario - If an address doesn't exist in the locator. Alternatives with a low candidate score are not provided as an option to get me "close". When manually rematching addresses, I want to zoom to low scoring candidates that aren't a match so that I can easily see if the address does exist in real life, but is missing from our address points data which the locator is based on. The 9.3.1 locator does exactly this if I set the "Minimum Candidate Score" below 40 (See 2ndScenario.png).  I have tried several 10.x locators, and haven't been able to recreate the experience.  Am I missing something?  Is there a way to recreate this specific 9.3.1 locator behavior?  I want to published it to our ArcGIS Portal, but can't because Portal will only accept 10.1 and later locators.

Thanks,

Becky

0 Kudos
3 Replies
GiovanniMarrero3
New Contributor III

I have a very similar question. Using 10.5.1, I am able to geocode an address with a unit number with the geocoding toolbar in arcmap. It doesn't geocode to the unit address point because it doesn't exist but it geocodes to the nearest or closest match, in this case, the address without the unit number. When I try to batch geocode a table, I get zero matches instead of geocoding to the closest address point. My minimum candidate and match score are set super low and I have match with no zones set to Yes. Any help would be appreciative.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Under Geocoding options of the address locator in ArcCatalog, do you have Match with no zones set to Yes.  ESRI sets up this address locator style where Match with no zones defaults to No.

0 Kudos
GiovanniMarrero3
New Contributor III

It's set to Yes. 

0 Kudos