GeoTagged Photos to Points: Aggregating Points and Attachments

07-25-2014 12:10 PM
PaulFiner
New Contributor II

Here's the situation:

1. In the field, I visited 6 different locations.
  2. At each location I took a series of geotagged photos. Because of the inherent variation in GPS, even though I'm not moving from the spot, each geotagged photo at a given location has a slightly different coordinate than the others.
  3. I use the "GeoTagged Photos to Points" to convert my geotagged photos to an ArcGIS point feature class with the photos stored as attachments.
  4. What I'd like to do is perform some kind of "Mean Center"-like operation on each location's point cluster (let's say all points within 10 meters of each other), creating a new point feature class with a single averaged point location for each location's point cluster. In addition, I'd like to have the attachment photos for each point in the cluster attached to the resulting averaged point location.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

There may be different ways to derive points that represent clusters. Here is one idea (requiring Advanced/ArcInfo license):

1. Run Aggregate Points tool using 10m aggregation distance. You will get aggregated polygons.

2. Run Feature To Point tool on the polygons; you can choose either the Centroid or the Inside option to obtain a point per polygon. Are the resulting points good enough to represent their clusters?