Divide irregular polygons by dimensions of Parcel polygons into a new layer

06-10-2016 06:38 AM
NickAlexandrou1
New Contributor III

I have a feature class of wetland mapping. It is a series of various polygons, all irregular shapes and sizes.

I also have a parcel boundary feature class that is basically even sized rectangular polygons.

I am trying to divide the wetland polygons into a "subset", where the polygons are "cut" by the boundaries of the parcels, that way I can get area estimates per parcel of how much wetlands each parcel has.

Hope that made sense, any help would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
FC_Basson
MVP Regular Contributor

Use the Tabulate Intersection tool: Tabulate Intersection—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop.​  This is only available for the Advanced licence though, otherwise you could union the two layers, calculate the areas of the intersected wetlands polygons and summarize the total area based on the parcel ID.

NickAlexandrou1
New Contributor III

Actually that tabulate intersection tool worked great. The area estimates came out spot on, however I'm not quite sure how to make sense of the percentage calculation. When I look at everything that was created from one particular parcel, the area adds up, but the percentage only adds up to around 60%? Not really sure what this percentage is calculated off of if the areas are matching. Any clue?

Thanks by the way, this is a pretty helpful tool

0 Kudos