how to create a land information system in arcmap 10.3

11-29-2016 10:05 PM
stevemaiya
New Contributor

Am creating a comprehensive  LIS for my county complete with the pictures of the owners of each parcel and indication of rates status. Got all parcels digitized and attributes added.I want to link the arcgis work with the excel details for the owneship and rates payment, how do i go about this?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
EricRodenberg
Esri Contributor

Steve,

Can you tell me what county you are with? I personally don’t support land records. I work as a Solution Engineer on the Esri Transportation Practice. I support State Departments of Transportation so I look at CAD and GIS integration which is where you posted this message from the DOT perspective. I look at Roads, utilities, culverts and ROW and how their design impacts planning engineers. We do have a Local Government Team and on that team we have land records subject matter experts who can help you. We also have a robust land records solution to help you manage you LIS. If you can tell me who you are with I can match you up with that team and help make the connections. Sorry I couldn’t be of more direct assistance, Land Records just isn’t in my wheelhouse.

Eric Rodenberg

Eric J. Rodenberg | Solution Engineer Transportation Practice

Esri | 7775 Walton Pkwy, Suite 270 | New Albany, Ohio 43054-8202 | USA

T 614-933-8698, ext. 5503 | erodenberg@esri.com<mailto:erodenberg@esri.com> | esri.com<http://www.esri.com/>

T 614-933-8698, ext. 5503 | erodenberg@esri.com | esri.com
0 Kudos
stevemaiya
New Contributor

noted,

i work for some remote county in kenya called kitui,

i am just introducing the concept of digital mapping to them.As a pilot i

have decided to first deal with a smaller area so that when they see the

advantages we can move ahead and have all parcels covered. how do i link

excel data and owners' images to the parcels on my .mxd

Steve Maiya

Author- Shine Series

Africa.+254722281704

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Steve,

How do you have the owner's images stored? Are they hosted on a photo hosting site? Are they just on your local computer?

How are you wanting to show the owner's images? Are you thinking that the user will click on a link to pull up the image? Or are you thinking the the parcel will have a popup box with the image displayed as a thumbnail?

Please elaborate more on how you want this to look and how you anticipate it working.

0 Kudos
EricRodenberg
Esri Contributor

Steve,

If you haven’t already done so, you’ll need to create a Parcel ID.  That Parcel ID will need to exist on the parcels, the ownership excel spreadsheet and the photos should be named with the Parcel ID.<image format>.  We have a tool that lets you import your spreadsheet into a Geodatabase.  The you can create a relationship class from the parcel to the LIS spreadsheet using the Parcel ID as the primary and foreign key.  You can also load your parcels into the same geodatabase if you haven’t already done so.  Then you can add photos one of a couple of ways,  you can hyper link to they by providing a URL (web) or a path if they aren’t exposed to the web.  The other way is to load the images as Attachments in the geodatabase.  Attachments allow you to relate as many photos to a parcel as you want. We have a tool that would create a table containing the Parcel ID and the path to the image, then a second tool would load the attachments.  Here is the workflow…

Here are a series of applications geared towards Land Records and I’ve also looped in the ArcGIS Land Records team.  You can also work with the Esri Eastern Africa folks since you are an international customer.

T 614-933-8698, ext. 5503 | erodenberg@esri.com | esri.com
stevemaiya
New Contributor

Many thanks for the quick response.

the photos are already on my computer.

I like the image to pop up as a thumbnail.

Also copies of the scanned title deed to show as well.

I have parcel ids together with their attributes.

Steve Maiya

+254722281704

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Steve,

I think having the images in the popup is a great idea and this would be best displayed in ArcGIS Online. Do you have an organizational account for this service? Either way, you can sign up for one. 

First, the images have to be stored somewhere on the web and need to be made public (this can be accomplished by using a free photo hosting site like Flickr or the photos can be uploaded to ArcGIS Online account).

Take a look at this blog post to see instructions on making the popup idea work:

Tips for displaying photos in pop-ups | ArcGIS Blog 

Configure pop-ups—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

For showing the scanned title deed, these would need to be uploaded to a place where they can be viewed by clicking on a hyperlink that leads to the scanned title (instructions for this are in the above link about configuring popups).

stevemaiya
New Contributor

Hi, I find the links you sent me quite awesome.

I have arcgis 10.3, do i need to buy a new version to acquire ArcGIS Online

account?

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Steve,

If you have an active ArcGIS license (Basic, Standard, or Advanced), then you should have an active ArcGIS Online‌ license accompanied with it. This will likely need to be activated from your account administrator.

If you go to Esri Accounts  you can log in to your account and manage licenses (if you are an admin). Or , likely, you should go here for managing the organization: https://my.esri.com/#/ 

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Steve,

I agree with Eric that this might get a better response if it is shared in the Local‌ or State‌ places on the GeoNet. (You can also tag Local Government Solutions Users‌). Either way, I am curious to hear what kind of solution you come up with.

In any case, if you are just linking up an excel table to your GIS data, you could simply use the Join tool to link them together (as long as you have a joining similar attribute like Tax ID or so).

About joining and relating tables—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop