Trying to run SplitByAttributes in Python, and it keeps telling me that it's not licensed.

Jump to solution
01-20-2017 08:33 AM
EricHeinrichs
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to run this tool, Split By Attributes, in a Python script, and it keeps telling me that it's not licensed.

The page says it's available for all levels of ArcGIS Desktop (I am running Standard). 

I am not sure why it's throwing this error. Any idea on how to get around this?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

too much work... it is designed to run as a tool inside of arctoolbox... I have largely superseded this toolbox and script to run completely outside of arcmap using python and numpy, although the functionality could be done within pandas as well.  So in short, I don't have the time at present to do any translations/fixes to consolidate the main script and its helpers and the effort spent by you might be best directed in splitting up your workflow since the esri versions is a show stopper for you anyhow.  Good luck. 

0 Kudos
EricHeinrichs
Occasional Contributor

Alright. I am still relatively new to using Python, so I think I will look for an alternative approach. I originally used QGIS to perform the split by attributes, so I might see if I can work that into my Python script. 

Otherwise, I will use your tool within ArcMap, and automate the rest with Python.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

I forwarded a link to the thread to the tool owner who will fix the documentation. He plans to look at removing the dependency on the Frequency tool as well. We apologize for the mistake.

Melita

edit: added sentence about removing tool dependency.

EricHeinrichs
Occasional Contributor

So, just to clarify, I should be able to run it in the future with just a Standard license? 

0 Kudos
DavidWynne
Esri Contributor

Hi Eric,

Eric Heinrichs wrote:

So, just to clarify, I should be able to run it in the future with just a Standard license? 

Yes! In all likelihood the fix will be in the next set of releases, 10.5.1 and Pro 2.0.

-Dave

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Definitely fixed in 10.5.1

BUG-000102284 The Split By Attributes tool fails with a basic license.