Rotate Polylines based on Existing Polyline Angles

Jump to solution
01-14-2019 02:17 PM
AdamThompson3
New Contributor III

Hey Everyone,

Currently what I am trying to do is rotate polylines in certain grid sections to the same orientation of existing polylines in that grid. This seems to be quite complicated as I have looked quite extensively for something like this, but to no success. Currently right now I have implemented a tool that was posted here arcpy - Drawing parallel lines inside polygons (Well Paths) using ArcGIS Desktop? - Geographic Infor...  now this works for me and does what it should... but here is my problem posted below. 

The grid lines that were drawn automatically (yellow) are  horizontal where as I would like them be vertical. If there is a way through arcpy or other tools where I can rotate these lines to be the same direction of polylines that are currently there. This is just one example, this happens many times in different areas. 

Thank you!

30 Replies
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

I haven't worked with polygons containing holes. From a quick search of Geonet and the web, I didn't find a solution for buffering a polygon with holes as you wish to do.  I'm not sure how the intersect tool would deal with holes; perhaps it could remove portions of the lines where the hole is located (but it wouldn't include a buffer).  Since this is an old question marked answered, I suggest you pose a new question with a link to this one.

0 Kudos