Creating Report with Python in ArcGIS 10

11-01-2011 09:03 AM
CynthiaKozma
Occasional Contributor II
I apologize if this has already been asked before, but I am not finding very much information.  I have a python script that summarizes data and creates a new table in ArcMap 10.  I also have created a report (.rlf) to load the data into.  Is there a way, using Python, to load a report like you can do manually?  I would like the script to create the report and export it as a pdf.  Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor
Not currently at 10.0.  At 10.1 we've introduced a new arcpy.mapping ExportReport function.

Here is a snippet from the 10.1 help:

Summary
Exports a formatted, tabular report using data from layers or stand-alone tables in a map document along with the report template information that is provided in a report layout file (.rlf).

Discussion
The ExportReport function provides a mechanism to automate the generation of reports that are originally authored in a map document (.mxd) using the reporting tools available in ArcMap. A report layout file authored in ArcMap is a template that stores information about the content and placement of the items in a report. The report layout file is used along with the source data in a map document to create output reports. The source data can also have associated joins and related table information that is used within the report.

Jeff
CynthiaKozma
Occasional Contributor II
Excellent!  Thanks, Jeff.  Looking forward to 10.1 coming out!
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Jeff, can this be done right now in ArcGIS 10 manually (e.g. does reporting functionality currently support related tables to be included in the report output?).  Note i am not wanting to call this via python.

As i understand it, reporting is now based on active reports & therefore i would anticipate that it can handle it?

Brad
0 Kudos
MichaelDesroches
New Contributor
Brad - I seem to be following the same path as you with respect to digging up info on how to create a report that includes information from a related table (ArcMap10). Did you have any success with this? My search is leading nowhere...
0 Kudos
ChrisFox3
Occasional Contributor III
Unfortunately Reports at ArcGIS 10 do not support working with related tables. This functionality will be supported at ArcGIS 10.1.
0 Kudos