Calculate Geometry Attributes Tool

12-20-2018 08:34 AM
MikeMacRae
Occasional Contributor III

I am running on an install of ArcGIS Desktop 10.6 ArcInfo Licence. I am not seeing the Calculate Geometry Attributes tool in the toolbox under Data Management Tools-->Features Toolset-->Calculate Geometry Attributes. I am also getting an error in the Python console in Desktop when I try to execute the tool out of the Arcpy module. According to the help page, this should have come with ArcGIS Desktop 10.6. Am I missing something?

Help Page: Calculate Geometry Attributes—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It is helpful to post there errors since there can be many different error messages.  Also, can you post a screenshot from ArcGIS Administrator showing how your installation is licensed?

MikeMacRae

Typical error indicating the tool has not been installed (does not exist):

Runtime error
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'CalculateGeometryAttributes_management'

As for the install, it's a full enterprise setup, centrally managed so I do not have access to Administrator. Basically my first question is, should the tool be packaged with 10.6. From there, I can troubleshoot.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

ArcGIS Administrator is installed on the client as part of Desktop.  Even on locked down enterprise PCs, the application is present and almost always can be launched, it is usually locked down so changes can't be made.

Have you tried running a repair on your installation? 

0 Kudos
MikeMacRae

Are you running ArcGIS Desktop 10.6? Do you see that tool in your installation?

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In ArcMap/ArcCatalog, the tool has always been Add Geometry Attributes, and it continues to have that name in 10.6.x.  The named was changed to Calculate Geometry Attributes in ArcGIS Pro.  The documentation is incorrect.

MikeMacRae

It appears they are different tools. The Add Geometry Attributes will create new fields and calculates the geometry. The Calculate Geometry Attributes appears to update existing fields which is what I need.

I wonder if you are right, though, in the fact that the help document shouldn't exist for Desktop? It's interesting that they have the drop down at the top of the help page where you can change to whichever version of desktop you are using to get the applicable help document. In the case of the Calculate Geometry, it shows that versions older than 10.6 are greyed out, but 10.6 is a validate selection. The Add geometry help page shows that it's been around at least since 10.3.

Hopefully someone from @ESRI will chime in and clarify this.

Thanks for the help Joshua.

RandyBurton
MVP Alum

I looked in 10.6 for the CalculateGeometry tool and could not find it.  I was wondering if it was new in 10.6.1, but it was not in the listed enhancements.  The documentation may be incorrect, perhaps just ported over from Pro. The license level info, normally at the bottom of the page, was missing as well.  Pro indicated the tool was available at all levels.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Getting the number of curves per feature is very useful information that I have been able to use in Pro.  It does mention desktop 10.6, so will this get into ArcMap 10.whatever, if it is not in 10.6.x?

0 Kudos
MikeMacRae

Just a quick update. I contacted ESRI and they logged a bug for me. I received a response today from them:

Esri Inc has confirmed that this is indeed an oversight on the documentation side. This function does not exist in ArcMap, but does in ArcGIS Pro as we discovered. They have had a bug logged to remove the documentation of this bug, its details are below:

BUG-000119004: For ArcMap 10.6- remove Calculate Geometry Attributes GP tool documentation from the overview of the Features toolset web page.

As you mentioned Joshua Bixby‌ the docuemnt for ArcGIS 10.6 should not exist. It appears they will be removing it.

As a work around, I found a tool in XTools that does the same thing, so if you have a XTools license, that could be an alternative method.

Cheers,

Mike