GoogleTool.esriaddin

05-14-2015 07:50 AM

GoogleTool.esriaddin

This is an ESRI Add-In, Google Map Channels tool. You may close your arc products and double click the tool to install or place the file in a folder and use the Add-Ins option folder in ArcMap. When you restart Arcmap make sure to check the Google Extension(this causes the tool to be inoperable when in layout). To use this tool click on the tool then click in your map somewhere near a road your default internet explorer will open Google map channels at the place you clicked. Beware of the direction, direction is not coded in the tool so you may have to pan around to face the desired direction. Enjoy

Attachments
Comments

I don't wish to sound discouraging but should this not be on ArcScripts instead as a document? Seems a very odd and in my opinion, an inappropriate place to share your tool.

True, the Search ArcScripts (BETA) (still beta, but some day...) would be a very good place to share the AddIn. However, if you look at a very active pace (Web AppBuilder Custom Widgets ) there are a lot of widgets being shared and it is a great place. The reason is that in GeoNet you can discuss on the content of the widget and ArcScripts is not really meant for this...

Hmm.. I hear what you are saying about GeoNet being a good site to discuss ideas, it has the mechanism for posting and replying but I don't think it should become the "go to" place for tools created by the user community. As you know the new ArcScript site is a response to the poor and impenetrable code gallery. Hopefully it will become the one-stop site for all community uploaded tools. A forum site is not what I would go to in the hope someone has attached a tool to their thread. That's why I think ArcScripts works you go there and search there and voilà you find Wes's awesome tool! I only stumbled across this thread because I like looking at the helpful documents that you and other users have created.

I did post it here in hopes that people would find and comment on the tool. I think it is a awesome tool but i also think there is a lot of room for improvement and having it in a place where people can comment\suggest was\is desirable particularly in a place where good help is available to supplement my intermediate coding skills.

Is there a current space to upload scripts?

As far as I know there is no space that is focused on Python AddIns. Like the WAB Custom Widget Space this can be created by a any user.

Thanks, but is there a place like arcscripts that you can currently upload scripts or is the Beta version to be the place when it goes live.

P.S.

Sorry this probably should have been a new question.

The beta site WILL be the place that scripts and addins can be posted, and in my opinion, I think that will be good.  But I can also see the GeoNet forums as being a place to anounce, discuss and add a link to the ArcScripts 2.0 (beta) place for the scripts.  This is similar to how some have created posts for custom widgets and have links to github.  Doesn't hunt to announce scripts and let others know they are there.

Version history
Last update:
‎05-14-2015 07:50 AM
Updated by:
Contributors