Working with 3D and M-aware geometries in Arcpy

07-08-2016 05:04 AM
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor
7 3 3,212

With Arcpy you can construct 3D and M-aware geometries. It is very similar to creating 2D geometries, but there are a view things to bear in mind.

Creating a 3D point and point geometry

Take a look at the script below:

import arcpy
import os

# create spatial reference (WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere)
sr = arcpy.SpatialReference(3857)

# create a point at Esri HQ redlands
x = -13046164
y = 4036336
z = 365
m = 10.123
pnt = arcpy.Point(x, y, z, m)

# create the point geometry
pntg = arcpy.PointGeometry(pnt, sr)
print (pntg.firstPoint)

The result will be printing the point (first point of PointGeometry):

# >>> -13046164 4036336 NaN NaN

As you can see there are two properties (Z y M) which do not have any data. The reason is that we did not specify the has_z and has_m parameters when creating the PointGeometry. If you take a look at the help page:

PointGeometry—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

… you will see this:

arcpy.PointGeometry(inputs, {spatial_reference}, {has_z}, {has_m})

has_z and has_m are Booleans that indicate if the PointGeometry will have Z and/or M values.

See below what happens when you specify has_z:

pntg = arcpy.PointGeometry(pnt, sr, True)
print (pntg.firstPoint)

This will print:

>>> -13046164 4036336 365 NaN

This is what happens when you set the has_m to True

pntg = arcpy.PointGeometry(pnt, sr, None, True)
print (pntg.firstPoint)

The geometry will have the M value, but not the Z value (it was omitted and set to False by default):

>>> -13046164 4036336 NaN 10,123

When you set them both to True:

pntg = arcpy.PointGeometry(pnt, sr, True, True)
print (pntg.firstPoint)

It will print:

>>> -13046164 4036336 365 10,123

To store this PointGeometry in a new featureclass you can use this simple snippet

# workspace and name for the output featureclass
ws = r'D:\Test\data.gdb'
fc_name = 'point_zm'
fc = os.path.join(ws, fc_name)

# create a featureclass with the Point ZM geometry
arcpy.CopyFeatures_management([pntg], fc)

The result is a featureclass that has “Point ZM” as geometry:

Revising the geometry during an edit session reveals that the Z and M value were stored correctly:

Normally you will want to store information in additional fields. The CopyFeatures_management tool does not provide method to do that, so you will have to create the featureclass first and use an insert cursor to store the information.

The CreateFeatureclass_management tool allows the creation of Z- and M enabled featureclass. If you look at the Help page: Create Feature Class—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

… you will find the same “has_z” and “has_m” parameters:

arcpy.CreateFeatureclass_management(out_path, out_name, {geometry_type}, {template}, {has_m}, {has_z}, {spatial_reference}, {config_keyword}, {spatial_grid_1}, {spatial_grid_2}, {spatial_grid_3})

There are some large differences though. Please notice that in this tool the “has_m” comes before “has_z” while in the creation of the PointGeometry “has_z” needs to be specified before “has_m”. The other bigger difference is that the parameters in the CreateFeatureclass_management tool are not of type Boolean, but strings (text), since there are 3 possibilities “DISABLED”, “ENABLED” and “SAME_AS_TEMPLATE”.

To create the featureclass with both Z and M enabled, you can use this snippet.

# workspace and name for the output featureclass
fc_name = 'point_zm'

# create a featureclass with Z and M enabled
arcpy.CreateFeatureclass_management(ws, fc_name, "POINT", None, "ENABLED", "ENABLED", sr)

To insert the PointGeometry (just the geometry, no additional fields in this case) you can simply do this:

with arcpy.da.InsertCursor(fc, ('SHAPE@')) as curs:
    row = (pntg, )
    curs.insertRow(row)

Creating 3D lines and polygons

Creating 3D lines and polygons is not very different. Instead of providing a single point you will provide an array created from a list of points. Consider the script below:

import arcpy
import os

arcpy.env.overwriteOutput = True

# list of x, y, z tuples with coordinates of points
lst_crds = [(0, 0, 0), (1000, 0, 0),
            (1000, 0, 1000), (0, 0, 1000),
            (0, 1000, 1000), (1000, 1000, 1000),
            (1000, 1000, 0), (0, 1000, 0)]

# create a point for each x, y, z tuple in the list and append it to the list of points
lst_pnts = []
for crds in lst_crds:
    pnt = arcpy.Point(crds[0], crds[1], crds[2])
    lst_pnts.append(pnt)

# create polyline with Z, but without M
polyline = arcpy.Polyline(arcpy.Array(lst_pnts), sr, True, False)

# create a featureclass with the Polyline Z geometry
fc_name = 'polyline_z'
arcpy.CopyFeatures_management([polyline], fc)

When you visualize the line 3D you will see something like this:

To create a polygon is very similar to creating a polyline. They both require an array created from a list of points (not PointGeometries). The difference is that for a polygon you repeat the first point as last point to close the polygon.

Observe the snippet below:

import arcpy
import os

arcpy.env.overwriteOutput = True

# list of x, y, z tuples with coordinates
lst_crds = [(0, 0, 0), (1000, 0, 0),
            (1000, 1000, 1000),(0, 1000, 1000),
            (0, 0, 0)]

# create a point for each x, y, z tuple in the list and append it to the list of points
lst_pnts = []
for crds in lst_crds:
    pnt = arcpy.Point(crds[0], crds[1], crds[2])
    lst_pnts.append(pnt)

# create polygon with Z, but without M
polygon = arcpy.Polygon(arcpy.Array(lst_pnts), sr, True, False)

# create a featureclass with the polygon Z geometry
fc_name = 'polygon_z'
arcpy.CopyFeatures_management([polygon], fc)

Which will create a tilted rectangle:

So what about Multipatches in Arcpy?

When exploring the objects present in the arcpy.geometries module, I discovered that there is a Multipatch class, which inherits from the Geometry:

Looking at the latest documentation of Arcpy inside ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro shows no sign of Multipatches. So

Geometry—ArcPy Classes | ArcGIS for Desktop (Pro) and Geometry—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop (ArcMap)

both show this:

… and searching for it does not return any results:

Trying to create a Multipatch object with the same points we used for the simple 3D polygon, results in:

Exploring the definition of the Multipatch in this whitepaper:

https://www.esri.com/library/whitepapers/pdfs/multipatch-geometry-type.pdf 

… learns us that the Multipatch object (in ArcObjects) is created from TriangleStrips, TriangleFans, Triangles and/or Rings:

None of which are present in the arcpy.geometries module.

I would like to see (better) support for Multipatches in Arcpy. I guess it's time to post or up vote an idea...

Next up: How to create a 3D tree geometry that will allow us to perform 3D analysis.

Pythonpython snippets3D

3 Comments
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Better support of Multipatches in Arcpy created:https://community.esri.com/ideas/12289

AlessandroValra
Occasional Contributor III

I strongly second this! So bad that it got so few votes... I think it would be super now that 3D has become normal in GIS with ArcGIS Pro!

pyGisServer
New Contributor

Good Morning
Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my question.
I am learning to work with the geometry objects included in arcpy.
I'm really interested in using them since I don't want to create files at all since most of the data I'm going to use is just mere intermediaries.
Reading the documentation I was able to discover that according to them they say an arcpy geometry object can be used together with the geoprocessing tools. I have tried this and it is really very interesting to be able to use these objects instead of writing files, the main problem is that not all the tools work (or at least I can't make them work). More specifically the "FeatureClassToNumpyArray" function, which when passing Polyline arccpy object returns me the following error:
"'in_table' is not a table or a featureclass".
I get the same error when I try to use "searchCursor", and I would like to know if it is possible to use some of the previous two functions (or if there is another efficient way) to obtain a numpy array of points through a Polyline () object.

About the Author
Solution Engineer for the Utilities Sector @ Esri Colombia - Ecuador - Panamá sr GIS Advisor / Python - Arcpy developer / GIS analyst / technical project leader / lecturer and GeoNet moderator, focusing on innovations in the field of GIS. Specialties: ArcGIS, Python, ArcGIS Enterprise, ArcGIS Online, Arcade, Configurable Apps, WAB, Mobile Apps, Insights, Spatial Analysis, LiDAR / 3D Laser Scanning / Point Clouds. UNME http://nl.linkedin.com/in/xanderbakker/ http://www.slideshare.net/XanderBakker http://www.scribd.com/xbakker http://twitter.com/#!/XanderBakker
Labels