Select to view content in your preferred language

Why does Portal not respect a published Grouped symbol's individual values?

06-14-2023 09:05 AM
RickVillarreal
New Contributor III

Ok, this has bothered me for some time, but is now an issue I must deal with... Is there a way to have Grouped symbols published from ArcGIS Pro show ONLY their respective value when a user is creating in portal? For instance, If I group something like a status... Lets say 'active' and 'active - under construction' are grouped, as well as, 'inactive' and 'inactive- abandoned". This way the legend displays a single symbol and look great. BUT... when my Portal user tries to add a new feature they would see 2 symbols with the exact same value, or label. why does Portal not respect the value in this case? is this a bug? See image below...

Using ArcGIS Pro 3.1.1 publishing to Portal 10.8.1

RickVillarreal_0-1686758432356.png

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

I think I've dealt with the same issue. Take a look at this post and tell me if it sounds like what you're going through:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-experience-builder-questions/web-apps-ungroup-legend-symbology/...

RickVillarreal
New Contributor III

Yes, that sounds like the same issue for sure. In my case this is creating a problem with an external application (Asset Management) that is consuming the service. In my case, there is a need to symbolize based on status, which contains multiple values. For symbology purposes I only need 2 symbols displayed. But this breaks the query function in the AM application which reads and displays the grouped values as a list of what appears to be duplicate and invalid entries. Very annoying to deal with. In the Enterprise there are workaround type fixes, but what if its not your app that is consuming the service? in my case, I cannot see under the hood on their end.

I assume this is an issue with the published Editing Templates not respecting the individual values which seems to defeat the purpose of a domain. 

0 Kudos
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

So what's the end stage app that you're using? I experienced this in Experience Builder but not Web AppBuilder. So it turns out there's a bug logged related to consuming the service is JS4.

https://support.esri.com/en-us/bug/the-grouped-values-symbology-shows-duplicate-records-in-bug-00015...

I was basically told by ESRI support that they're still investigating the best way to fix it - could be patches, future versions releases, etc. To get around the problem in my original post, I wound up creating a totally new field just for the purpose of display. Not ideal of course, but since that wont affect any querying or the original field in question, it might be a workable solution for you as well.

ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

PS, even though the bug is logged as AGOL, I was getting the problem in both AGOL and Enterprise, which makes sense given that it's related to Javascript.

RickVillarreal
New Contributor III

Yeah, we kicked that new field idea around as well, but I am desperately trying to avoid adding a new field for 100+ services 😅 

0 Kudos
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Don't blame you there. It's a disappointing bug.

0 Kudos
SimonPook1
New Contributor III

For what it's worth, this doesn't happen with the Classic Map Viewer in Portal or AGOL, only the "probably should have spent a bit longer in the oven New Map Viewer", or anything that uses it as a base, like Experience builder.
Really hoping it's patched out & soon.

0 Kudos