ArcGIS Server Temp Directories

12-05-2011 08:48 PM
MariusBurger
Esri Contributor
Hi,

Not sure if I am missing something, but it seems that ArcGIS Server ignores all the temp directories environment variables, including it's own. I have configured all the temp variables to, system and user, to point to E:\temp, but when looking at the resource monitor Disk, it shows that all the work is still being done on C:\ drive in the users (arcgis) temp directory. Can anyone confirm that this is happening, and is it a bug or just an oversite on my part.

Regards,
Vassilo
Esri South Africa
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
AnneReuland
Esri Contributor
Hello,

During the ArcGIS Server installation, you were asked for the ArcGIS Server Account, the account that is used to run the ArcGIS Server processes. The default username is a local account named "arcgis".

The temp location is set by the TEMP environment variable of the ArcGIS Server Account user profile (by default, the user is arcgis).

Let me know if you need further details on the account and setting its TEMP variable.

We are considering doing more in the Server's administrator API and/or ArcGIS Server Manager to expose the setting of the temp environment variable for the ArcGIS Server account.

Thanks,
Anne
0 Kudos
MariusBurger
Esri Contributor
Hi Anne,

Thanks for the reply. What concerns me is that it seems to ignore the ARCTMPDIR variable if it set as a system environment variable. I would have thought that this should override all TEMP variables. As the arcgis user is normally only a service user it may be difficult to change any settings or even logon as that user in a heavily controlled environment.

Regards,
Vassilo
Esri South Africa
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I am adding to this old thread because I have a development AGS 10.3.1 environment where the temp file directory is getting filled up (its on the C-drive) and it is now causing server usage problems due to low space.

Does anyone know if the files and folders in this temp directory can just be deleted without any negative repercussions to the AGS site?

Does AGS write cache files (compact or exploded) to the temp directory if there are problems during the cache creation process?  There are bundle files here that are taking up a significant amount of room, but AGS was configured to write these files to another location with much more storage space that can easily be expanded.

0 Kudos
MarcusBrown
New Contributor II

Wow, this was a blast from the past.

I recently ran into this same issue with an ArcGIS Server running 10.5.1 on Windows 2012 R2. It was a production server so I checked with ESRI support before deleting the files b/c I'm that kind of paranoid.

Can confirm, these are mostly alright to delete. I did have a few exceptions where the temp files had file locks because they were currently being used, but I cleared out 68GB of temp files going back 5 years. I just selected them all and explorer let me skip over the ones currently being held by a file lock.

I checked the documentation and couldn't find anything about files in the server user account temp directory. Just to be clear, I'm talking about files residing under %systemdrive%\Users\<server account>\AppData and not any of the ArcGIS Server install or content directories.

0 Kudos