Select to view content in your preferred language

Search Editor Add-in Update

04-05-2013 12:43 PM
RobertPincus
New Contributor III
I have fixed some bugs to the code, improved the help doc, and added a new form to the program.

This new form is called Import Searcher. It reads the data from the supplied Searchers.xls file and writes the information to the Team_Members table. The idea behind this form is to the have one person on one computer enter searcher information into the Searcher.xls file while another person can operate MapSAR on another computer. Once completed, the MapSAR operator can use the Import Searcher tool to import the file contents to the Team_Members table. More detailed information about help doc.

Thanks,
Robert
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DonReid
New Contributor
This looks like something I was imagining.  It addresses a couple of issues with MapSAR:

- MapSAR exposes all of the power of ArcMap, great for experianced users but not good for others.

- Only one instance of MapSAR can access the data at a time and data is not easily accessed outside of MapSAR.
   This could be a serious bottleneck on a large incident.

In the long run I'd like to see MapSAR keep incident data in a database that could support shared access.
This is a good step in that direction.

What language and widget set did you use?
(PS unpacking the addin shows it was written in MS C/C++)

Are you willing to share the source?

Don Reid
SAR volunteer, Benton County Oregon
Engineer and Programmer for a living
0 Kudos
TimBeynon
New Contributor
Hi Robert,

We are still evaluating MapSAR as the software for search management. Your editor tool is a key part of our plans for implementation to a team of Search Managers. We have encountered an issue with the tool's assignments editing as it appears to reference files in your local user drive.

Also to echo Don's comments on the release of the source code, I would be looking to make some minor customizations to match our operating procedures and would need to alter the editor tools slightly to match my changes.

Again I appreciate the effort that you put into this tool. It is a real timesaver for the Non-GIS user and experienced one.

Tim Beynon
GIS Analyst
Ottawa Police Service
0 Kudos