Searching for Mexico Oil Platform Data

01-11-2016 11:59 AM
ThomasBackof
New Contributor II

All I want is points in space. I am hoping that someone here can point me to the right place to find what I need. Specifically, locations of any marine oil platforms in Mexico, on the Atlantic side. Just so I can put some little tiny dots on a map of the Gulf of Mexico, for a research project. 

Mexico has a nationalized oil company, and using my limited Spanish and hours of searching has not led to anything useful. Please help?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

see if you can locate any data from hurricane disaster data, It usually becomes public-ish after the event.  I doubt you are going to get current rig data.

ThomasBackof
New Contributor II

I have searched high and low, and there are readily available shapefiles on US platforms, but Mexico seems to be a black hole. Part of me wonders if they hide this information for security or terrorism reasons. I appreciate the help anyway Dan Patterson. Maybe someone has knowledge of a website that I have not stumbled upon yet.

StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III

This link might have what you are looking for.  At the bottom is Platforms

Geographic Mapping Data in Digital Format

-Steven

Edit - These are the Gulf of Mexico rigs on the US side.

ThomasBackof
New Contributor II

Thanks Steven, but you aren't quite there for me. This is the platforms in US waters, as you can see by the browse-graphic button "http://www.data.boem.gov/images_opt/graphics/gis/GOMR_Platform_structures.png " these data stop at the US/Mexico border. I am looking for data from south of the border. I appreciate the effort though. The northern half of my map already used this website, so you weren't too far off. Thanks!

0 Kudos
StevenGraf1

Ya, I can't even find an image for locations of the Mexican coast.  I'm not sure what all you have searched but it might be best to find the names of the offshore drilling fields and start there.

-Steven

ThomasBackof
New Contributor II

See the problem? I have one image which I am using at the moment but was hoping for a better dataset. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
StevenGraf1

I think your best chance of finding data is to get in touch with the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management.  They might be have the data or be able to point you in the right direction.  I would just shoot them an email to ask.

BOEM Homepage | BOEM

-Steven

ThomasBackof
New Contributor II

Just sent the email(s). Hopefully they will at least have a lead for me to track down. I will let you know how it goes.

Next question: Any leads for shrimping effort in Mexico data files? I think this one has a much lower chance of success, but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks for your effort!

0 Kudos