Select to view content in your preferred language

Primary vs. Construction?

09-30-2015 10:35 AM
CLeon
by
Deactivated User

I'm relatively new to ArcGIS/ArcMap.  My 'expertise' for the past 20+ years has been with Microstation CAD.  So my question is approached from this angle.

In Microstation one can place either Primary and/or Construction elements.  There is no difference between the two visually ( or at least one can control their display however one wants so these can visually display exactly the same ) the only major difference is that Construction elements do not print.  In a sense, they are similar to Guidelines in ArcMap ( I'm using 10.1 ).

Is there a manner in which to do the same in ArcMap?  Is there a manner in which to place, for example, a circle graphic but have it excluded from the final print even though it is visible?

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If it was a layer...you could simply toggle it off before printing.

0 Kudos
CLeon
by
Deactivated User

Thanks for your reply, Dan.

I realize I can toggle a layer off, but the question still remains.

Is there a manner in which to have a visible graphic that doesn't print on a layer that is printing other graphics?

Are you saying the answer is 'no', apart from creating it on its own layer to toggle on/off?

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

If the layer is visible in the TOC, it will be visible in the layout and will be printed if that is what you want to do.

If you have a graphic layer, data frame properties / annotation layers and it is ticked on there, then it will also be visible in any output.

Why would something be visible on the screen but not come out from a print?

0 Kudos
CLeon
by
Deactivated User

It is used a lot in Microstation with title sheets, etc.  It's also a way of showing your work, so to speak, in constructing some elements in a design file without the constructions of it all showing up in print.  Some people use it, some people don't.  It's simply a very basic option.

I was just wondering if there exists a "construction" mode in ArcMap as in Microstation.

If there is none, that's ok.  

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

No there isn't, the approach would be as described.

0 Kudos
CLeon
by
Deactivated User

ok.  Thanks! 

0 Kudos