New Computer for ArcGIS (big data files)

11-09-2018 06:24 AM
ManuelGoerke
New Contributor

Hi folks,

I'm very happy that I have found this community. My name is Manuel and our company is mostly doing some kind of land survey. I hope it is OK if I start my career at Esri Community with a question .

Our office is moving and we take the opportunity to update our IT structure. On this occasion we also would like to buy a new computer especially for our GIS work and I'm not sure if the computer our service provider is recommending fits to what we actually need. We are working with high resolution aerial images a lot with one tile having the size of several hundreds  mega bytes, loading several of these tiles into one single project.

What our service provider is recommending seems to meet the requirements, but is this, in your eyes, also suitable for our scope of application?

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Processor: Intel i5-8400 // 6 cores // 2.8 - 4.0 GHz

Memory: 16 GB DDR4-2666

Hard disk drive: SSD PCIe, 256 GB M.2 PCIe

Internal drive: 1 TB SSD SATA III

Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro P400 // 2 GB GDDR5

I would be happy to get some opinions. If you need more information feel free to ask please

Thank you!

Manuel

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

computer recommendations abound on Geonet. 

In short, buy what you can afford but focus on ram and video specs.  Whatever is recommended... go up.

For example 16 GB or ram is nice... 32 has a nicer ring.  Video specs etc are all documented on

ArcGIS Pro 2.2 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Think Pro, even if you are going to be using ArcMap.  Move from ArcMap at your earliest convenience since it is 64 bit and doesn't limit ram useage without herculean efforts.