Select to view content in your preferred language

Display XY Data Lat/Long Fields Empty

Jump to solution
02-12-2016 06:57 PM
KevinBoehler
Deactivated User

Hello Everyone,

I am new to GIS and am trying to import an excel document into ARC Map version 10.3.  When I try to display the XY Data after importing the table, I do not have any options for the lat/long in the pull down menu.  I have been looking online for hours to potentially see what I am doing wrong but nothing seems to fix it.  I have attached a copy of the excel data that I am using to import(It is a very small sample size, as I am just trying to test this out before importing larger amounts of data).

Any help you can provide me will be extremely helpful!

Kevin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

that is because the two coordinates are displayed as text since they are left justified.  In order to read coordinates the values in that column need to be formatted (explicitly) to numeric with an appropriate number of decimal places.  Make sure that field names are kept short and do not contain spaces etc.

also, if you have any blank rows or incomplete rows... dump them

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

that is because the two coordinates are displayed as text since they are left justified.  In order to read coordinates the values in that column need to be formatted (explicitly) to numeric with an appropriate number of decimal places.  Make sure that field names are kept short and do not contain spaces etc.

also, if you have any blank rows or incomplete rows... dump them

KevinBoehler
Deactivated User

Thanks Dan!