ArcMap - opening esri TiledBaseMaps

07-09-2014 06:13 AM
LeeColclough
New Contributor

I need to generate a basic tiled map package (tpk file) for quite a small area.  I understand that I can do this by loading the basmap for export (http://tiledbasemaps.arcgis.com/arcgis/rest/services/World_Topo_Map/MapServer) into ArcMap and generate the tpk from there.

However, I cannot seem to get that basemap to open in ArcMap.  If I browse the URL via a browser I get a token request.  If I Add it as a GIS server to ArcMap the server appears but with no content.

I'm not a GIS professional - I'm a software engineer trying to complete a small support job (generate this map) using a trial version of ArcMap - and assess the tool for purchase at the same time.  Can anyone help?

Any pointers / information will be very gratefully received - many thanks.

Lee.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Stefan_Arndt
Esri Contributor

Hi Lee,

i guess you have to provide your ArcGIS Online Login Credentials. There are two ways to add the Tiled Basemap layer: (1) via Add Data -> ArcGIS Server -> URL or (2) Add ArcGIS Online Data --> Search for "Tiled Basemaps" -> Esri.

But in both cases you have to enter your ArcGIS Online credentials, which you probably don't have when you are using a trial version of ArcGIS Desktop.

Best regards,

Stefan

0 Kudos