advice

02-12-2015 02:28 AM
mohamedmagdy1
New Contributor II

Hi

I love GIs and I want to work in this field but I don’t know how to start and what should I do to have a job in this field.

I want your advices.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
HabG_
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mohamed,

It depends on your background. If you have a field of specialization, you can learn how to apply GIS in that field. If you are a beginner, it is better to work on some introductory GIS tutorials (For example ESRI Virtual Campus Training).

It is good if you can have a look at GIS job vacancies and the required skills to help you understand the skills you need to have in order to work in the field of GIS.

Hab

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You can donwload a trial version of ArcGIS software and follow the tutorials to gain some experience.

ArcGIS for Desktop | Free Trial

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)  (tutorials or look at the Guide Books)

Don't forget to look at ArcGIS Online as well. Esri is pushing this very hard and organizations are starting to implement it more.

Videos—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Once you have some experience you can try and get a certification. They are becoming more important.

Overview of Esri Technical Certification

And to motivate you more... I have been working over 20 years using GIS and can say never a dull day..

Kind regards, Xander

mohamedmagdy1
New Contributor II

Hab G. _   Xander Bakker  Thank you

Actually I have some experience in ArcGIS Essential,

So I want steps to make it, to be able to join to any job in this field

Steps like learning programming language or else.

Acutely I don’t know what kind of jobs in this field

And what should I do in order to be qualified for jobs in this field?

And thank you so mush.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You have many options:

• web development
  • desktop development
  • mobile device development (will have partial overlap with the previous), and
  • scripting

If you would like to learn how to automate workflows, you could start with learning to create scripts with Python. It is a language that is relatively easy to learn and is growing in the GIS world. With experience in Python you will make yourself more valuable for potential employers, since you will be able to automate workflows and create tools for other employees to be more productive. Look at these threads to learn more about the options for learning Python:

Re: Seeking advice on how to go about learning Python

Because I wasn't busy enough

For other languages and paths you may want to have a look at:

ArcGIS for Developers

mohamedmagdy1
New Contributor II

thank you very much and i'm going to learn python from Lynda.com

0 Kudos
ChrisSergent
Regular Contributor III

I found this book by Esri a great starter book for the novice: Esri Press | Getting to Know ArcGIS for Desktop, Third Edition |

mohamedmagdy1
New Contributor II

Chris Sergent

Thank you very mush .