Authorizing with .prvs file - exceeded max copies error

Jump to solution
07-14-2021 03:04 PM
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I created a new 10.8.1 authorization file (.prvs) for ArcMap using myEsri and have been using it for multiple desktops. I am getting an error "Authorization denied because request would have exceeded max copies for the following authorzation number(s):". Is a .prvs file only good for one authorization now? In the past I've used it (using silent installs) for multiple desktops successfully.

Is there a new workflow to make a .prvs file I can use on multiple desktops (each checking out a single-use license of course).

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

I don't think it's the provisioning file that has the limitation.  You should be able to use the provisioning file as many times as you wish.  However, you may have reached the maximum number of license for one or more feature you're attempting to authorize.  For example, if you have 3 Desktop Advanced license, you can authorize it 3 times.  Additional attempts will fail.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

I don't think it's the provisioning file that has the limitation.  You should be able to use the provisioning file as many times as you wish.  However, you may have reached the maximum number of license for one or more feature you're attempting to authorize.  For example, if you have 3 Desktop Advanced license, you can authorize it 3 times.  Additional attempts will fail.  

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This is an academic license so there are plenty of licenses. This happened to me last year and I created a new prvs file which did not cause the error. I decided to only include the Education integrated license (not a few add ons - which we have as many licenses for like LocateXT) hopefully this time it will not cause this error.  Sure looks like a bug to me.

Glad to know it is not me, these files are supposed to be re-usable for multiple installs, so thank you.

0 Kudos