A problem when use field calculator and toolbox

Jump to solution
03-04-2019 04:19 PM
Bentorio
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have a problem when I use field calculator or toolbox. When I calculate the field with field calculator the value does not appear even I calculate only a plain number such as 1 or 0. I have to remove shapefile or feature class and add the layer to arcmap again so I can see the value in the attribute. Also with the toolbox for an example when I use Add Geometry Attribute or any tool that create a new field. I have to remove layer or restart arcmap to see the new field appear in the attribute.

Sometime the tool won't work until I restart the arcmap such as buffer. The message show that the process is complete but the new layer doesn't construct and does not appear.

Is there anyway to fix this problem?

Thank you for your answer!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bentorio
New Contributor III

Thank you for your answer Jonathan!

All of my data is in the local drive not on the network. I have follow your instruction an I just fond that this problem with my old arcmap file only. If I start arcmap and create a new map this problem does not appear maybe I have to create a new one.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JonathanNowlan
Esri Contributor

Is the data stored locally or are you working with data stored on a network file share? If it's stored on a network file share move the data to your local disk and see if the same behavior happens.

You can also try renewing your ArcMap template by renaming the normal.mxt file to old_normal.mxt. It's found here:

C:\Users\{your user profile}\AppData\Roaming\Esri\Desktop10.x\ArcMap\Templates

Make sure ArcMap is closed when you attempt to rename this file. Once you rename it, launch ArcMap again and see if the behavior persists.

Bentorio
New Contributor III

Thank you for your answer Jonathan!

All of my data is in the local drive not on the network. I have follow your instruction an I just fond that this problem with my old arcmap file only. If I start arcmap and create a new map this problem does not appear maybe I have to create a new one.