I don't know where to begin

11-30-2022 02:32 AM
GeorgeBlidar
New Contributor II

Hi, my name is George, I am 16 years old and I live in Romania and currently, I'm in high-school.

I really like how technology can help the world, and I started searching for a career that combines technology and nature together and I read about GIS. It's exactly what I wanted for my future, but I don't know where to start, there's so much information out there and I'm confused.

What should I focus on, geography,  computer science, math, biology? And what bachelor or qualifications do I need for this type of career.

It would help me a lot if you could give me some advice.

//sorry for my english

Tags (2)
6 Replies
JesseCloutier
Esri Community Manager

Welcome, George! We're so glad you found your way to GIS as you're figuring out the career path you'd like to build. It's a fascinating, frequently rewarding field with lots of applications, including specializations that overlap with nature. Be sure to visit the stories section of our website for a big dose of inspiration about how GIS is being used for good out in the world: Esri Newsroom

As for Esri Community, consider it to be your go-to spot for discussing all things GIS — a virtual gathering place where you can find solutions, share ideas, and collaborate to solve problems with the help of members from all around the globe.

Please be sure to check out the following Community-use resources to get you started: 

And, noting where you're at in your journey you might consider checking out our Esri Young Professionals Network area for some useful career guidance.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions about using Esri Community.

Jesse Cloutier
Community Manager, Engagement & Content
GeorgeBlidar
New Contributor II

thank you for the advice

JenniferAcunto
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi George,

I recommend taking a look at job boards in your area for careers that interest you and see what they are looking for in a job candidate. Are there skills, certifications, or degrees that are frequently mentioned? Those might be a good start to look into. 

Also, as someone who has a career I love in a field I did not go to school for, I highly recommend just being open to whatever opportunities that come your way and to not be afraid to get out of your comfort zone. Good luck!

- Jen
GeorgeBlidar
New Contributor II

Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
GoWest
by
New Contributor III

What should I focus on, geography,  computer science, math, biology?

Yes, study all those things!  Some universities also offer Environmental Science degrees.  

And what bachelor or qualifications do I need for this type of career.

I went to college for Computer Science, but dropped out of college after I got recruited for a high paying computer programming job where I gained a lot of experience.  I stumbled into GIS by accident when I was asked to create a dynamic web map for the web application I was developing.  Ever since that day, I have not stopped learning GIS.  I've been doing GIS for 20 years and I feel like I've made a difference in the world.

ESRI has a lot of training videos and tutorials which are very good.  At first, some of the tutorials are boring and overwhelming.  Once you understand the software, the training is very enjoyable and rewarding for the people who continue to study!  

Try to get a copy of the ArcGIS Pro software.  You can get a student version (if provided by your school) or a personal edition.  The Personal edition has access to all of the training videos and tutorials.  Ask a lot of questions on this website and there are many people who can help you on your journey.  

I would send an email and contact the ESRI Romania office. 
Tell them that you are a student interested in GIS:
https://www.esri.ro/ro-ro/home

We need people like you to use technology to help the world!!!  Best of luck! 

-Tim

SusanWamboi
New Contributor

Very helpful response @JenniferAcunto , @JesseCloutier , @GoWest .

Am also new to the software transitioning to a new career path as a data analyst, interested in Environmental sciences.