arcGIS Sport development

11-30-2020 06:09 AM
ATHodge
New Contributor II

Hi, I'm trying to find a way to run a sports event through arcGIS. I am confident it is possible, but i need some help coding in the necessary components. Unfortunately I have no coding experience. I work for a London, UK, based charity, LondonYouthRowing.com who provide developmental skills and experiences to young people who'd not normally have access to even the most basic provision, using rowing.  The event is a fundraising event with a community focus. If you're interested or able to help me out, please let me know.

Best wishes

Andy

PS this is my first time using the forum, i apologise if I've broken any rules or such like!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi Andy, happy to help you out.

0 Kudos
ATHodge
New Contributor II

Hi David, thanks for the quick reply. by way of a quick summary of what i'm trying to do and achieve. The event is for say 100 teams. In each team is 8 participants. The teams are racing over a virtual river Thames, UK, 346km.  The participants will contribute to the team mileage using indoor machines, rowing, running, cycling, arm bike, ski erg etc (anything with an electronic output.).  They will have a week to complete the challenge.  As they input their data i'd like to represent this on an online map - ie arcGIS!

So to do this i believe i'm looking at 4 stages, however where arcGIS comes into the picture is what i'm trying to work out, and therefore what help i need!

1) data input - the participants upload their individual data.  This we can do through an ESRI survey form or a google form. I also have a friend who's written some python scrip that can pull data submitted through twitter, and thinks he can do the same for Instagram (which i'm very excited about)

2) database - here we need to collate the data into the teams to produce a team's total mileage. this can be done on google doc's and i believe should be possible in arcGIS, but requires coding?  

3) output - If arcGIS can do what i believe it can this stage is skipped - or - an excel sheet matches the distance of the team to a specific coordinate along the virtual river that we've created beforehand, and returns the list of teams and their coordinates to upload to a map.

4) within arcGIS, can we create a line along the map which knows how long it is and can directly plot crew markers along that line based on the distance achieved - or - we upload a CSV file of coordinates matched to teams to display the distances achieved. I know this can be done on Google MyMaps, but it won't look very good.

If any of this can be achieved with arcGIS I'd then like to add further information about the companies involved, the charities involved, where participants are based etc.  All this is static data so can sit in the background.  However if i can link the funds raised to the giving platform api, it would be great to have a running total.  

With all of this in place than i can build a story map that presents the event in a way not seen before. Adding social media feeds, video inputs, and if it could work a zoom feed directly onto the story map.

I think there is a simply way but requires manual uploading of data and is clunky, or a complicated heavy coding way, that could automate the whole lot that would be slick.  Your thoughts on this and what it would take would be greatly appreciated. And sorry if it's not what you thought it might be!

Kind regards

Andy

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Are you looking to use arcgis online to host the features or something else?

a dashboard might be quite good, allowing you to filter categories of participants etc. and zoom to your team location.

I think the idea about turning the length rowed so far into a coordinate on the river is a good one, something like a dictionary of 100m intervals which map to coordinates.  this can be easily done (i.e no need to work it out manually).

So a team would post 1608 metres done, it matches to the closest 100m interval and returns the matchin co-ords.

The location could easily be POSTED via a REST API, something like a scheduled task posting updates, or even a database trigger.

0 Kudos
ATHodge
New Contributor II

Hey David

I'm exploring ways to present the race on arcGIS, ideally the story map feature. The use of the dashboard attributes would be important, but i'm hoping i can take elements of these into the story map. 

For "the idea about turning the length rowed so far into a coordinate on the river" (thank you for that concise description), can this be done within the arcGIS database or externally on an excel sheet on say google doc's?  It's the bit of arcGIS that seems the most hidden. I visualize an excel sheet database sitting behind the maps - i'm now starting to think it's more of a coding landscape? However the concept you've concisely described is what i intended to do, but is this inside or outside arcGIS?

Could i ask how to move this idea forward? My ambition is to try and have a working prototype for a test event in late Jan.  I've no idea what i'm at liberty to ask of you, so I'm not expecting anything, however if you are able to help put any of the technical bits together, please let me know what you'd need in return. I will have a not for profit subscription to the platform soon.

many thanks

Andrew

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

My arcgis online knowledge is very limited if I'm honest, but when you get a subscription you'll probably see the way -ahead a bit better.  Hopefully someone else can weigh in for that aspect.

I'm also not sure what database powers an arcgis online (AGOL) hosted feature service, it may be postgres or something proprietary.  In its simplest terms, you would just upload a shapefile to provide the schema really, the rest would be done with http posts to update the spatial database (update each team's location on the river).

I could just generate a series of points with regular spacing along the river, get the geometry(x y locations) of each point, and match it to the distance. it would look something like this:(which you could just match against in a spreadsheet if that's easier for you)

row.png

0 Kudos
ThomasBall
New Contributor II

I'd try to remove some of the human data entry components by replacing it with GPS units and uploading .gpx files rather than manual data entry.  ESRI lesson plans contain lessons on wildlife tracking. You might need to train rigorous protocols for Start and Stop times for the tracks; but it might make life easier for everyone (yourself as analyst, and the competitors).
Good luck on this, mate. What can be grander than messing about in boats on the Thames?

0 Kudos