Select to view content in your preferred language

NAD1983 vs NAD1983(US Feet)

Jump to solution
10-24-2015 10:42 AM
JamesRivers1
New Contributor

Hi,

Often times I work with data from towns and municipalities and the majority of the time the data comes in NAD1983 State plane...however when I choose the projections for the data frame I am only able to find the projections labeled as NAD1983 (US feet) so I am unable to match the data...Is there anyway to find these projections without the feet label attached to it?

For example the data comes listed as:

NAD_1983_StatePlane_Massachusetts_Mainland_FIPS_2001

but I am only able to find an option for

NAD_1983_StatePlane_Massachusetts_Mainland_FIPS_2001_Feet

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

When specifying a reference/coordinate system/projection, you can usually type in the well-known-ID (wkid) as shown in that list to find the projection you are looking for.  More can be found about state-plane systems State Plane Coordinate System—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

It looks like the wkid you are looking for is  26986 as shown on about page  88 in this doc

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/desktop/latest/guide-books/map-projections/pdf/projected_coordinate_sys...

It looks like 2249 is the one that include "feet" in the description (same page).   Instead  typing the name in the search box, try entering the number.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

When specifying a reference/coordinate system/projection, you can usually type in the well-known-ID (wkid) as shown in that list to find the projection you are looking for.  More can be found about state-plane systems State Plane Coordinate System—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

It looks like the wkid you are looking for is  26986 as shown on about page  88 in this doc

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/desktop/latest/guide-books/map-projections/pdf/projected_coordinate_sys...

It looks like 2249 is the one that include "feet" in the description (same page).   Instead  typing the name in the search box, try entering the number.

JamesRivers1
New Contributor

Thanks! I had no idea about the wkid's but they work and I am now able to match the data frame without having to reproject...thanks again!

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Keep in mind that you can't just assign a wkid/projection if it doesn't match the data. make sure the data you are assigning the 26986 is in te correct units. If it doesn't line up correctly, you still might need to do a project.