Modifying World Topo Basemap

05-18-2011 07:52 PM
DougSberna
New Contributor
Hi,
I tried to find the answer to my question in the forum, but had no luck. 

The ArcGIS World Topographic Map is exactly what I need, and I want to turn off or modify some of the layers (like change the topo lines to black so they show up in b/w and some other things).  Is there a way to do this?  Any help at all would be great!

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TamaraGrant
Occasional Contributor II
Hello sbernad11,

There is no way to turn off or modify layers of the World Topographic Map because it is meant to be used as a reference map in the background with data overlaid on top of it. Please feel free to utilize this map and add your own layers so it can be useful to your work.

Thank you,
Tamara Yoder

Tamara Yoder, Geospatial Analyst
Esri, 380 New York Street, Redlands, CA 92373 USA
T 909-793-2853, ext. 5028, tyoder@esri.com, esri.com
0 Kudos
RyanKey
New Contributor
Hello sbernad11,

There is no way to turn off or modify layers of the World Topographic Map because it is meant to be used as a reference map in the background with data overlaid on top of it. Please feel free to utilize this map and add your own layers so it can be useful to your work.

Thank you,
Tamara Yoder

Tamara Yoder, Geospatial Analyst
Esri, 380 New York Street, Redlands, CA 92373 USA
T 909-793-2853, ext. 5028, tyoder@esri.com, esri.com

Is there currently a basemap that has nothing but the topo/hillshade?
0 Kudos
ESRI_DBServices
New Contributor III
You didn't say if you were creating your map with the ArcGIS.com map viewer or if you are using ArcMap. For the map viewer, rather than choosing a basemap from the basemap gallery (if you don't want to use any of those), you can do a search for layers using the words "terrain", "elevation" or "hillshade". You should find a few choices, mostly ones that are best at smaller scales.

You will have more options if you're using ArcMap. You can add the Terrain Basemap using the "Add Data" button and choosing "Add Basemap". There should be a Terrain basemap available in the basemap gallery that pops up. After adding it, if you need to, you can then go to the table of contents in the MXD and check only the Shaded Relief to display.

If you want this to be only grayscale for any basemap, then follow the procedures at this blog.

Alternatively, you might want to try out the new Beta World Elevation Services.

I hope you can find what you need among these options.
0 Kudos