Mapping using both Graduated Colors and size: how to show on legend?

Jump to solution
07-07-2015 03:26 PM
DenisAgar
New Contributor II

Hi all! I have searched high and low and have not been able to find an answer to this question. I'm using graduated colors to symbolize some data points. Under the advanced menu, I'm also using "Size" to symbolize another variable on the map I'm making. How can I get relative sizes shown in my legend?

What I'm looking for is a way to show in the legend what the circle sizes mean.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I would probably add the same layer and choose the graduated size symbology, add it to the legend (with the appropriate explanation and in a new column). Something like this:

After it is added to the legend you should switch of the option "Only display layers that are checked on in the Table of Contents":

... so you can switch of the layer in the TOC without it being removed from the legend.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
XanderBakker

I would probably add the same layer and choose the graduated size symbology, add it to the legend (with the appropriate explanation and in a new column). Something like this:

After it is added to the legend you should switch of the option "Only display layers that are checked on in the Table of Contents":

... so you can switch of the layer in the TOC without it being removed from the legend.

DenisAgar
New Contributor II

Thank you! This is a great workaround and I will definitely use it but it also seems like these types of workaround occur too often in a sophisticated, expensive piece of software like ArcGIS. Why would they introduce an option to symbolize by size as well as colour if you can only offer a legend for one of those variables?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

I agree with you, that it would be far more elegant to reflect in the legend what is shown in the map without the need to do all sorts of extra stuff...

0 Kudos