Layer dependent layout text element

04-04-2016 07:56 AM
JamesHarrington
New Contributor III

Is it possible to have a dynamic text element in a map layout that changes/toggles based on map layers being turned on/off? example: I have an mxd with several layers that are shown individually in the same scale/layout. The text element would change based on which layer is on. My thinking is that it would be easier to have one mxd and check the layers on/off and print, rather that having multiple mxds that would have to be edited one at a time when changes are made. Can a python script be written to do this somehow>

thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

You could use Working with group layers—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  to organize your data in the different configurations. You could also use a python script to turn layers off and on and change symbology(Creating a layer symbology file—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop ). I do not think there is a method that detects layers being toggled on or off, so you would have to create a script that does all the changes for each config.

Edit:

After re-reading  your your question. Depending on what you are trying to do you might be able to use a legend with the toggling layers in it, if you just want to display the layer name. You could also set a script that turns on and off your layers and would move text elements in and out of your display. TextElement—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had this same question. Then I thought about it a different way and I read a 4 year old forum post that led me in the right direction. If you change your maps into a data driven page environment then you can use page definitions and the title of the maps can become the dynamic page name of the data driven pages. Brilliant! 

Solved with this page:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00sr00000004000000