Landscape template opens as portrait

Jump to solution
03-22-2016 12:36 PM
JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III

I saved a map document in my templates folder to begin using it as a template as instructed in this help document.  When I create a new mxd based on this landscape oriented template it opens with the page setting as portrait.  If I open one of the prepackaged landscape templates it opens as landscape.  Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Thanks for any input.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

Jeff,

In the Page Setup dialog for your map document/template do you have it set to use printer page size or not? There's a checkbox for that. If it's currently checked try changing to unchecked (or vice versa) and see if that helps.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
SarahWallace1
New Contributor

Answered my own question kind of...

Export or convert raster datasets

ArcGIS 10.3

There are two main ways to export or convert raster data to another format. You can export raster data from within ArcMap by using the Export Raster Data dialog box or using a geoprocessing tool. The dialog box allows you to export a raster dataset or a portion of a raster dataset. Unlike other raster import or export tools, the Export Raster Data dialog box gives you additional capabilities such as clipping via the current data frame area, clipping via a selected graphic, choosing the spatial reference of the data frame, using the current renderer, choosing the output cell size, or specifying the NoData value. In addition, you will be able to choose the output format for the raster dataset: BMP, ENVI, Esri BIL, Esri BIP, Esri BSQ, GIF, GRID, IMG, JPEG, JPEG 2000, PNG, TIFF, or exporting to a geodatabase.

NoteNote:

If you export your data with the Selected Graphics (Clipping) option, your image extent will be the union of your selected graphic and the extent of the raster.

The second way to export or convert raster data is using the Copy Raster tool.

There are many different raster dataset formats, which are normally differentiated by their file extensions. You can store your rasters in a file-based system or a geodatabase (personal, file, or ArcSDE). ArcGIS is able to view many different raster file formats, but it is only able to output a raster dataset as an Esri BIL, Esri BIP, Esri BSQ, Esri Grid, BMP, ENVI, ERDAS IMAGINE, GIF, JPEG, JPEG 2000, PNG, or TIFF format.

When you name your output raster dataset, specify .bil for Esri BIL, .bip for Esri BIP, .bmp for BMP, .bsq for Esri BSQ, .dat for ENVI, .gif for GIF, .img for ERDAS IMAGINE, .jpg for JPEG, .jp2 for JPEG 2000, .png for PNG, .tif for TIFF file format, or no extension for an Esri Grid or a raster dataset in a geodatabase.

When exporting your data using a selected graphic to a file-based raster dataset, it is recommended that you enter a NoData value. When a graphic is used to clip your data, NoData pixels will most likely exist in the output. Specifying the NoData value will allow you to control the pixel depth and the value that will store NoData. If a NoData value is not specified, the program will find an empty value to use as the NoData placeholder, which may not be desired or expected.

You can also export or convert your raster data (raster dataset or mosaic dataset) into tiles, rather than a single raster dataset, using the Split Raster tool or the Raster To DTED tool. The Split Raster tool allows you to tile the output according to a tile size or number of tiles, among other options. The Raster To DTED tool will tile the output according to predefined DTED level schemas.