Is it possible to create a tool for ArcCatalog that will auto-format elements of an mxd based on set specifications?

02-04-2020 03:23 PM
Vinzafy
Occasional Contributor

The question in itself is simple but I'm not sure how to go about answering it. Basically, I'm wondering if it's possible (and if so, resources to direct me as to how) to create a tool I can drag an .mxd in that will format certain elements to ensure all mxd's have a standardized template. 

As a most basic case, how would I create a tool that took an .mxd as an input and would then set the Data Frame Properties (where the data frame already has a standardized Element Name to refer to) to have a specific x-y position, a specific anchor point, and a specific size (inches) as seen in the screenshot attached?

The tool I'm hoping to create would set properties for all relevant elements that are already existing and have an element name in the .mxd (i.e. data frame, text boxes, north arrow, legend, etc.) for a specific page layout (landscape tabloid, and portrait tabloid and letter). So essentially three different tools ─ one for each page layout that specifies the properties I want to give each element based on layout. 

But understanding how to create a tool that sets the Data Frame to the specific properties as seen in the screenshot would be a fantastic start as to how to create the tools I'm thinking of making. 

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

The dataframe can absolutely be set  unfortunately the layout properties to go with it can only be set through arcobjects.

0 Kudos