Hiking trails with mileage markers

05-10-2019 08:15 AM
DavidBatten
New Contributor

I'm trying to use M values to create mileage markers every mile along hiking trails in my maps. I have created the trail features to have M values, and have followed the instructions in the online help pages to create shape markers and use the arcade language command $measure to place the markers every mile (1609.344 meters) with the marker placement setting "at measured units". When I do that, nothing appears on my 5-mile long trail.If I use the setting "along the line", or "at ratio positions", the markers show up, but not at measured locations along the trail. Am I doing something wrong, or is ArcGIS Pro 2.3 not dealing well with m values?

The larger image accompanying this query shows the symbology dialog box showing that I selected a shape text symbol, and I used the expression builder to populate the text string. The second image shows the Marker Placement part of the symbology dialog, where I set it for "at measured units", and right now the default is at an interval of 100. I checked, and my linear units are indeed meters, so there should be lots of markers along the trail. I have set the interval also at 1609.344 and also get no markers along the trail.

Any suggestions as to how I might do this (short of breaking the trail into one-mile segments, which would be cumbersome and probably not satisfactory in any way)?

Thanks,

dave

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DavidBatten
New Contributor

After grappling with this for a while, I realized that although I had told ArcPro to use M values when I created the line, it didn't happen, instead each M cell was filled with NaN. I began to realize that either I don't understand what routes are (which is certainly true) or ArcPro doesn't support them yet, or both. At any rate I was able to do what I wanted to do with the tool Generate Points Along Lines, or for me, even better, Generate Transects Along Lines. Neither keeps track of the distance of each point from the trailhead, but I can count up to six pretty easily, and up to 20 if I have to.

These two tools simply take the trail feature as input, ask you to name the output, and name the interval at which each successive point should be created.

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos