Help for Bachelorthesis needed

10-15-2015 09:13 AM
KofiMiller
New Contributor

Good Day fellow ArcGIS community,

for my bachelorthesis I will conduct a survey for which I will also need map material.Unfortunetaly I'm a complete beginner in ArcGIS. Therefore I have three questions:

1: how do i create a 100x100m grid on a map. Is it also possible to create this grid only in a framed (with polygons) part of the map?

1.1: is it possible to mark the exact centre of each square?

2: how can i extract the coordinates of the centres for my GPS device?

I hope anybody can help me. I would be forever grateful and promise a mention in my note of thanks.

Thanks anyway for your attention

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JohnWarden
New Contributor III

Try using the Data Driven Pages tool. You can specify the size of the grid cells and the location of the grid. Probably easiest to copy the features around which you want the grid created into a new layer, then select that layer as the extent of the grids to be created.

Then use the Calculate Geometry function to calculate the X and y coordinates of the centroid (that is, the center) of each cell. Export the resulting data set to a format that can be accommodated by your GPS device.

0 Kudos
NICOLAPEDDIS
Occasional Contributor II

Dan always make excellent answers.

1-You need to start with the tool fishnet

1.1: you can use the centroid tool to mark the exact center of each square, like a parcel

2- First make a fisnet grid to 100*100 meteres. Use the centroid tool to make the center and then upload your project in arcpd to use in the field with your GPS unit. After you can easly find the right coordinate of the center of  every square with you GPS unit, if you need more precision

Good luck with you thesis.. It remembers me nice and funny days

0 Kudos