Fuzzy or low quality annotation on Maps.

Jump to solution
06-15-2015 01:42 AM
TerryAdams
New Contributor III

Hi All,

I have ArcGIS ver 10.1.  I have a map with annotation labels in it, and some of them are printing at a very low resolution or are appearing very fuzzy in the printout.  Cannot for the life of me figure out what is going wrong here.  Am using an HP Designjet Z6200 60inch printer.  Simply bumping up print setings does not solve the issue.  Looking very closely, it almost appears as if the badly printed annotation has some type of dropshadow or ghosting going on.    Reading on the web - I came across some information regarding halftone settings for printing, but this wasn't clearly explained and I'm none the wiser at this point.  I also came across information that suggested transparent layers could be to blame.  My map *was* full of transparent layers - so I took all these out and replaced all transparent stuff with solid colours.  No Dice.

I have Aerial imagery which I want to fade into the background around the map.  Then in the middle I have the Feature Classes etc etc making up the map.  First I tried making the imagery itself transparent.  Works a treat onscreen - but is that causing the annotation issue?  Then I tried putting a mask over the imagery and fading that.  All no dice.

If I can just get readable annotation then I'll be happy.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Great! I'm glad you solved the problem. All the symptoms indicated that the problem did indeed lie with the printer.

0 Kudos