Export to PDF, points are black

10-06-2015 08:31 AM
michaelcollins1
Occasional Contributor III

Sometimes when I export a map to PDF, some of the points are solid black instead of the intended colour. It doesn't always happen, there doesn't seem to be any reason I can detect. One day it happens, the next it doesn't (to the same mxd document) Sometimes if I increase the dpi to 400, 500, 600 etc. the problem goes away, but this isn't a practical solution.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

Michael,

Issues crop-up with exporting to PDF from time-to-time - I can remember all sorts of fun stuff happening years back, like fire hydrants turning into hurricane symbols on export, etc.

I would recommend looking over 17783 - Diagnose an ArcMap printing or exporting problem

There's some info on troubleshooting the export and some recommendations on how to remedy.

michaelcollins1

This is specific to exporting to PDF, it never happens when exporting to JPG.

0 Kudos
TedKowal

I don't know if this will help ... but check to see if you have the font for the symbols being used on the machine you are printing from.  I am assuming that you have some vector or esri fonts in your graphic.

I had similar problems and the relate to font substitutions being made when the pdf conversion cannot find them on the machine the document is being printed from.

0 Kudos