Embedded pictures won't export

07-27-2014 07:37 AM
MayaShacahar
New Contributor

hello

I'm trying to export a map with embedded pictures.

i tried to insert the pictures with the "insert" tool but the quality of them drops.

can anyone help me?

that happenes on JPG and PDF exports.

thanks,

Maya

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There are pros and cons for each format as indicated in this help topic Perhaps try *.png or check the guidance in the help topic for specific formats.

0 Kudos
MayaShacahar
New Contributor

Hello Dan,

Thanks for your respond…

I now see that the file do export, but only in a relatively low resolution (100 dpi)

I usually work with 300 dpi.

Do you know how to solve this maybe?

Thanks

Maya

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Read the link in detail regarding image formats, for example

JPEG files are compressed image files. They support 24-bit color and have been a popular choice for use on the web because JPEG file size is often substantially smaller than many other image formats. However, the JPEG compression algorithm is lossy and is not recommended for most map images, as line drawings and text or iconic graphics become blurred by compression artifacts. Thus,  PNG is usually a superior format for map images. JPEGs exported from the data view in ArcMap can be generated with an accompanying world file for use as georeferenced raster data.

0 Kudos
MayaShacahar
New Contributor

I understand,

But the same problem happened with the PNG file, in the wanted resolution…

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

images would help, is the embedded image way smaller than the original image?

0 Kudos
MayaShacahar
New Contributor

Yes,

In the same file I have one map (layout A3) in the most of the page

And 3 little embedded pictures (that I copied and pasted from Microsoft power point)

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Did you try Insert | Picture from the menu rather than copying and pasteing to see if it has any effect, however, if the image is small I doubt you are going to get to look like the original

0 Kudos
MayaShacahar
New Contributor

Yes,

But when I insert the pictures the quality drops…

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

as indicated earlier, a screen grab would help...also what happens if the image is increased in size on the map?  If the appearance improves, then you have your answer...small images will never approximate the resolution of the original image

0 Kudos